What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Canada Post Strike Incoming

geokilla

fire all the workers, they're whinning about starting pay at canada post being cut to 18$ an hour. unemployment is high in this country, i'm sure there are tons of people qualified to sort paper ready to take these jobs
You have no idea what management is proposing do you? Some of their new proposals and what they're doing right now are pretty absurd and dumb.

For one, they're proposing that there are no paid lunch breaks if you worked for under 10 years. Work 10 years to 19 years, you get 10 minute lunch break. Work 20 to 29, you get 20 minute lunch break. And it goes on and on. Either propose no paid lunch breaks, or give the employees a paid lunch break.

Another is that they're hiring, firing, and rearranging workers as they please, making employees run around in SCLPP throughout the work day. Sector A needs people, go take from Sector B. Oh wait, Sector B needs people, Sector B people that went to Sector A needs to go back to Sector B.

There's a lot more management blunders and propositions which is the reason for this strike. I don't remember all of what my dad told me, but the things I pointed out are just two of the many reasons leading to the strike. If you want more and official word for word kinda thing, I can ask him once he wakes up.

Herne

fire all the workers, they're whinning about starting pay at canada post being cut to 18$ an hour. unemployment is high in this country, i'm sure there are tons of people qualified to sort paper ready to take these jobs

I would suspect that that is exactly why they are striking. These are existing workers whose main sticking points including how much starting workers make. This is more then likely because it is sold to them as overall cost control, but 'ignore it, everything will be fine, doesn't effect you'. Then the layoffs come. To the older more expensive workers. Then the executive bonuses come.

Empty_Quarter

Nothing has been decided. Winnipeg is on a 24 hour walkout, then they go back to work. Hamilton is apparently the next city that will be hit.

So, unless you're in those 2 cities right now, you should continue to get mail.

Orly? Is that really how that's supposed to work? :shok:

Well... thats very... as arinoth said, ineffective :doh:

I guess that works to my benefit, I have an order on the way, so long as they dont shut down the mississauga depot (which inheritly shuts down the GTA), I'll be alright and wont complain :thumb:

AkG

Umm....I dont know about where you live but many jobs - especially blue collar ones - DONT GET PAID LUNCH BREAKS. The fact that they are willing to have a temper tantrum over something as stupid as that IS the problem. Its this "Im in entitled to my entitlements" BS that is so wrong with CP union. Break the union. Fire all the dead weight and start from scratch with more REASONABLE benefits, wages and (much fewer) "entitlements".

You have no idea what management is proposing do you? Some of their new proposals and what they're doing right now are pretty absurd and dumb.

For one, they're proposing that there are no paid lunch breaks if you worked for under 10 years. Work 10 years to 19 years, you get 10 minute lunch break. Work 20 to 29, you get 20 minute lunch break. And it goes on and on. Either propose no paid lunch breaks, or give the employees a paid lunch break.

Another is that they're hiring, firing, and rearranging workers as they please, making employees run around in SCLPP throughout the work day. Sector A needs people, go take from Sector B. Oh wait, Sector B needs people, Sector B people that went to Sector A needs to go back to Sector B.

There's a lot more management blunders and propositions which is the reason for this strike. I don't remember all of what my dad told me, but the things I pointed out are just two of the many reasons leading to the strike. If you want more and official word for word kinda thing, I can ask him once he wakes up.

G

Heh welcome to the real world alot of workers in Canada do not get paid lunch breaks.

Again welcome to the real world unskilled labor is often going from Job to Job, hell I have done 5 pours in one day before so thats 5 job sites in the same day, again I say welcome to the realworld of unskilled labor, and that is what CP workers are unskilled labor.

I have zero symapty with CP workers TBH as stated above they are unskilled labor, a dime a dozen. But they seam to want to be treated as skilled labor.

I do know that here the HEU is looking very closely as to what happens with the CP demands for their next contract ( @ least local ) so my prediction will be that come contract time they will be looking for a substantial increase if CP's unskilled labor force get what they want. And TBH I wouldnt blame them, since they at least ( most not all within the HEU )are considered skilled labor, why the frack should unskilled be paid more than skilled?

Just my POV.

Herne

Again welcome to the real world unskilled labor is often going from Job to Job, hell I have done 5 pours in one day before so thats 5 job sites in the same day, again I say welcome to the realworld of unskilled labor, and that is what CP workers are unskilled labor.

So can we assume that you are all good with opening to construction market so if I can bring in workers seasonally to do that pouring for 1/2 what you make you are good with that too?

_dangtx_

Banned
that would bring in some more competition,thats for sure!

trouble is,will that cheaper labor do as well a jobbe as mr groover? :)

one thing is to push a paper cart,another is to apply years and years of experience on something that looks simple,

but requires more than meets the eye...:)

G

So can we assume that you are all good with opening to construction market so if I can bring in workers seasonally to do that pouring for 1/2 what you make you are good with that too?
If you were in the industry you would know that this has been happening for years, lowballing fly by night companies come in and under cut the contractors here. The construction market is a open market, not locked down by the unions, yes there is unions but TBH all they do is kill non-union business, plus I made over 2x what a union Carpenter would be paid, I was going to challenge the ruling ( basically you write a test and prove you have the hours per category if you qualify you are awarded 1-2-3-4 year Prentice depending on your placement. It is designed for ppl that have been in the industry for years, 18+ for me,but never took the course's)
We were lucky since we had a good reputation here for quality building and we allays met our deadlines so we did not have to worry about lowballers to much. We always had work.
I am now disabled for the last 2 years so I am not involved with construction and the company I worked for the owner is now retired (much needed I might add) and as such the company is too retiered.
So to answer your question , Yes I wouldnt mind since it has been happening from different sources for years and years, that is the nature of business when someone cuts into your profits you have to adapt, IMO I see that this is what is happening with CP profits down they need to adapt unfortunately it seams like the workers do not agree and just want more and more.

I agree with others fire the lot of them and get other unskilled labor in that would be more than happy to work for the wages proposed.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Looks like the rolling strike is coming to Montreal:
Post office workers to go on strike in Montreal as talks drag on - The Globe and Mail
Mail service will be disrupted in Montreal on Monday as urban postal workers are poised to walk off the job.
The Canadian Union of Postal Workers says it has selected Quebec's largest city as the next target in its rotating strikes.

Any HWC Montrealers out there need to keep this in mind. Not sure if there is a CP hub in the area either.

Latest posts