What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Canada Post "unpackaged" option

jcmaz

Hey HWC,

What is this "unpackaged" when I use the Canada Post estimator? It adds an additional $7.5 yet I do not know what this option does.

Can someone please explain?

Thanks!

_dangtx_

Banned
perhaps they will box it up for you? noit sure if they will charge you more for the box,on top of the hand jobbe packing thing

jcmaz

That doesn't explain anything other that they are huns.......

I've had stuff shipped to myself via Canada Post. and TBH, they are pretty good in terms of service (of course, I pick up all my packages...)

Kommie986

That doesn't explain anything other that they are huns.......

I've had stuff shipped to myself via Canada Post. and TBH, they are pretty good in terms of service (of course, I pick up all my packages...)

Slow as hell, and lazy as hell. Every time I am due to receive package from them, they just put the "missed you" sign in my box when they have never even tried the door.

And don't get me started on how irresponsible they are for going on strike.

BootlegUsher

When I lived in Banff it was great, you have things sent to you via general delivery. I was about a block away from the post office, so whenever I ordered something the tracking would tell me when it arrived, and I would mosy down the street and pick it up.

Caldezar

I use Canada Post all the time, and never have an issue. They may have bad customer service, but shipped items always arrive and in good shape. They're about the only company I haven't had a bad shipping experience with.

Back to the OP, 'unpackaged' items are things you can't put in a box, and have to ship "as-is". Things like assembled desks or shelves, shovels, trash cans.... (can you tell I'm looking around my house for examples?) They charge extra because they generally take up an odd space to ship, and can't be stacked up in a delivery truck for efficiency.

Silvgearx

As far as I know the Unpackaged option is the cost of the box.

Card board box price from $3.5 -$7.5.

I happen to have a white canada post box here that cost me $8ish. 12.5inches x 10inches x 6inches.

And I don't think you want to shipped a desk or such large objects with Canada post, they will probably cost a ton and will likely refuse.

For large items your best to use Canadian Fright. They do a excellent job, good price, and your large item are properly secure in a wooden skid.

JimboToronto

I use Canada Post all the time, and never have an issue. They may have bad customer service, but shipped items always arrive and in good shape. They're about the only company I haven't had a bad shipping experience with.

I prefer Canada Post over UPS, Purilator, Fedex, etc., who often use customs brokers who add fees. Most foreign shippers (non-USA) who use the post office will mark merchandise as gifts to avoid taxes and duties. My last UPS-shipped purchase, a $766 Honda Generator cost me over $182 in import charges payable to the UPS driver. The post office has never done anything like that to me.

My biggest reason for preferring Canada Post however is that if I'm not home at the time of delivery, they'll leave a notice and I can pick up my parcel the next day at the local post office which is a very short walk away (a little more than a block from my favorite bar). All the other carriers require either staying at home all day for another delivery attempt, or traveling to some horrible suburban depot that's accessible only by automobile. I live downtown so I don't drive and I resent having to waste $80 on cab fares or hours on public transit there and back.

The post office is better in so many ways. They may be a sleazy corporation but at least they're a crown corporation.

Latest posts

Twitter