What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Canadian campaign - the missing question

clshades

Prime ministers shouldn't be allowed to rule for longer than 2 terms. This curbs corruption better IMO. Harper is the equivilant to Darth Vader and is not interested in democracy.

sswilson

Staff member
Prime ministers shouldn't be allowed to rule for longer than 2 terms. This curbs corruption better IMO. Harper is the equivilant to Darth Vader and is not interested in democracy.

I doubt that would solve anything though. The way I see it, the real rot is in the non elected partisan backrooms, which would continue unabated under a fresh face.

fubar

I hate politics one of the biggest things I hate is when a politician ( can't seem to spell) that has been in for a while people get relaxed then they get bored and want change not at all thinking of the consequence. then other politicians start throwing mud and making promises that people don't question as to how they are going to keep those promises and where is all of the money going to come from. Then you get something like the Syrian child that has been all over the news that is atrociously Horrible but , Not our Countries problem we don't need anymore immigrants we can't even take care of our own people , don't get me wrong I am by no means prejudice and I don't blame anyone on this planet that wants to come and live In Canada but hey I see people living on the street with Children that have know where to go then I see non Canadians driving around in racing around in New cars . ok I am getting way off track, politics is ugly, look at the US Obama was a god send when he came in now everyone is whining because he has tried to keep things equal and has done a pretty good job when compared to the US's Lat President
I hate that citizens here are so $&%#@ stupid!

Why isn't anyone complaining about CBC's one-sided slant of the refugee crisis?!? The Syrian child is already known to be a bogus story - lies and distorted versions were presented, not the truth. The father was safe in Turkey and wanted gold teeth. They wanted to get to Europe for the benefits. That's just the gist of it. This story was not covered extensively, just a sob story that left out crucial details in an attempt to guilt trip the public into bashing the government and supporting an agenda to admit more 'refugees.' It's politics - shouldn't a public broadcaster just do the news and if they can't report a story in an ethical and professional manner (i.e. making sure the truth and accurate details are presented), they shouldn't do it at all?!? This Hiller guy also distorted things - he made it sound like women and children are going through these European countries when they are of a small percentage compared to the massive numbers of young, abled men. All you have to do is watch some of the many videos out there. Also, many are not from Syria. There's a report of only 50%* being from there but there is rampant fraud going on as 'refugees' throw away their passports and have no id when they arrive. Yet, the media INCLUDING the CBC are not mentioning it or just say it in passing, then move on to the 'we have to do more' meaning let in more.

Like you said, the country/government should look after people who are already here. Why aren't *liberals* speaking out about this?!? Is the homeless situation fixed already? There's no more waiting list for anyone - social housing crisis is solved?!?? Wow, where is the headline about this?!? There's lots of money to pay for thousands of people to just suddenly show up - which will have a family, in most cases, maybe 5 or more people per family. That's amazing. Liberals and left-wing morons are always saying to 'do this' and 'do that' but it's fine as long as it doesn't effect them.

This country is infuriating. All people care about is stupid stories like someone who pisses into a bucket or what Trudeau's hair looks like or whether Harper looks geeky or if Mulcair was nice enough to the refugees or blah, blah, so many BS angles the media keeps distracting the sheeple and zombie voters in this country. :-(

AkG

Fubar....they aren't doing it because it would go against their chosen narrative. We no longer have - if we ever really did - have an unbiased news source. CBC is cronie capitalist heaven and everything they put out has a spin to it. US has two 'sides' in news reporting both of which are bad and worse - neither tell the whole side of the story.

As for the avg voter. We have been using an education system that was designed to indoctrinate the lower classes into drones. Even if the people doing it had great intentions these methods were designed by J. G. Fichte...he called this method the Volkschule (whereas the elites went to Realschule and learned how to be rulers). The stated goal of the Volkschule was "workers who will not strike, citizens who will not revolt, soldiers who will not disobey orders."

See if this sounds familiar:

Grades: would teach students that their work was not their own but for the subjective approval of their betters and unworthy of tangible reward.

Bells: would mark periods and instill a sense that one's time was not one's own.

Rows and columns of desks: would enforce a sense of isolation within regimentation.

Homework: would demonstrate the state's priority over home life and private time.

The campus must be designed with no place to escape scrutiny so that an expectation of privacy cannot form.

Most importantly, the school must feature a high-sounding curriculum that teaches no processes start-to-finish so that competence and independence cannot form.

Then Horace Mann came along in North America…and added a few tweaks to the design namely mandatory public education and the assembly line process- where one student sees numerous different teachers every day. He noticed that students were starting to see particular teachers as surrogate fathers/mothers…so instead they would not even be able to connect to any teacher in a meaningful way. This is the public education blueprint Canada uses…even if the teachers are dedicated and love their job (many which do)….can you expect to get a different result than what the system was designed to produce? Anyone with kids would have to be a 'tard to send their kids to public school.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
So I'm posting this publicly. I've made my choice after much deliberation and have each local candidate over to my place and talking for hours to friends and business associates in Europe.

I'm voting Conservative.

Quite honestly, it all boils down to their rock-hard stance on immigration, particularly when it comes to taking in refugees from Syria. We should NEVER have the open door policy the other two parties are campaigning with. We need to stand firm and protect our society, unlike what's happening in Europe. I feel like everyone campaigning for an influx of immigrants should visit London like I did a few weeks back. You'll come back a changed person.

Canada is proof positive that controlled immigration works wonders for a society, regardless of where they come from. Britain and Europe in general is proof that massive and sudden changes in demographics can absolutely destroy an otherwise strong society and its laws.

I consider this my drawing of a line in the sand. There's a time for sympathy. There's a time when the race card can't be brought forward by certain elements of the media anymore. Then there's a time for saying "NO". Now is the time for me to yell NO.

Behemoth-

So I'm posting this publicly. I've made my choice after much deliberation and have each local candidate over to my place and talking for hours to friends and business associates in Europe.

I'm voting Conservative.

Quite honestly, it all boils down to their rock-hard stance on immigration, particularly when it comes to taking in refugees from Syria. We should NEVER have the open door policy the other two parties are campaigning with. We need to stand firm and protect our society, unlike what's happening in Europe. I feel like everyone campaigning for an influx of immigrants should visit London like I did a few weeks back. You'll come back a changed person.

Canada is proof positive that controlled immigration works wonders for a society, regardless of where they come from. Britain and Europe in general is proof that massive and sudden changes in demographics can absolutely destroy an otherwise strong society and its laws.

I consider this my drawing of a line in the sand. There's a time for sympathy. There's a time when the race card can't be brought forward by certain elements of the media anymore. Then there's a time for saying "NO". Now is the time for me to yell NO.
A part of me would like to agree with you on this point. I've been a couple times to London and many times in France - mostly in the Paris area and Cote d'Azur. All these places have rather been "invaded" with what seems to be an uncontrolled amount of immigrants from the Maghreb (France) or India and all over the world (UK).

In times where the immigration policies should have been more strict (IMO), they allowed everyone to get in the northern countries of Europe. This is, I believe, a part of the reason why the "Front National" is doing so well these days in France.

I believe that if they had better managed immigration in the past decades, perhaps they would have been able to let in those who needs it the most in a more significant number in time of needs.

Canada, and in a more significant way Scandinavian countries, is living in its own bubble, far away from any real trouble. We do not let too many immigrants in, we do not get overly involved in world diplomacy, we let the USA be the bad boys and now we even quit trying to do humanitarian missions under the conservative government. We send a few CF-18 and call ourselves defenders of world peace.

I think our geographical position (and the fact we are so low-profile) is the biggest reason why we are able to do that and get away with it.

So I believe the least we could do is to welcome some of these people in our "Great" country and do our best not to have them end up as 15000 more cab drivers.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I think there's a separation between military involvement and allowing an influx of migrants. Granted, you can argue very successfully that our involvement in the Middle East (ie: arming the wrong group of folks) has essentially caused this problem. However, I take the stance that Canada should divest itself completely from the Middle East and that includes dropping support for non-Muslim nations in the region as well.

I think at this point it is time to look at isolationism as a fruitful policy, at least when it comes to Africa and the Middle East. We have our values but there comes a time during fighting a fire when even the best firefighting teams take a step back and say: let it burn and we'll focus on saving the neighbors' houses. We'll take in any approved immigrants but it will be up to that region to pick up the blood-soaked pieces regardless of how many times certain elements of the media want to invoke a knee-jerk reaction by unashamedly posting pictures of dead children.

If there was a party supporting that position I would unequivocally take up its cause, as I am sure many others would.

Again, I am completely supportive of taking in our fair share of folks from that area of the world. When given the chance, the people are innovative, smart, compassionate and can eke out a living from nothing. I lived there (Dubai, Beirut and Ankara) for several years and seeing the current state of affairs has me near tears day in and out. I visited Damascus for two months back in 2002 and it was an amazing city I'll remember forever.

With all of that experience, I know for a fact that opening the doors wide like some parties want is a recipe for disaster. Sectarian violence will be brought across borders and perhaps even made worse. We've already seen what happens when you combine Kurds and Turks in the same region....imagine that multiplied a hundred fold. I have seen firsthand how much these people hate each other and without strict controls those conflicts will spill onto our soil.

No thanks.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
How I ended up 'liking' the Conservative Party on Facebook without knowing it - Politics - CBC News

The Liberals, Greens and NDP all said pretty much the same thing. They said they buy advertising, but they don't buy likes.

The Conservative Party's director of communications, Cory Hann, however, said: "Thanks for reaching out to us. On this question, it's an internal party matter."

I'm sorry, but I'd vote for little green men with santa hats on before I'd even consider putting my "X" beside somebody from the CPC camp. Ethics matter... if they feel the need to publically lie and cheat their way into office, I can only imagine what they're up to when the cameras and mikes aren't on. (Actually we don't have to work all that hard to imagine it... we see the kind of crap that goes on through the multitude of criminal court cases involving either the CPC directly or their close friends and advisors).

As far as the refugee issue goes.... I sympathize (and for the most part agree) with the suggestion that we can't just open the floodgates, but the issue isn't as black/white as the CPC would like to present it.

In what seems to be a theme for this government, they make public promises (like promising to take in 10K), but then show their true intentions by not providing the resources required to carry out those promises. Yes, we all agree that any potential immigrants need to have a proper security screening carried out, but rather than taking 100 years to carry out our promise with the resources currently in place, we should instead be putting more resources in place to meet our obligations.

Why did I say that it seems to be a theme? Because we've seen them pull this "starve the beast" shell game time and time again. Whether it's folks unable to access EI because of low staffing levels, or one of the stepford wives letting slip (a week or two into this election) that in spite of promises to improve VA response times, they still hadn't filled the 250 front line positions that were very publically announced, they continue to make public promises on files they're taking a beating on, but show their true ideological intentions by not providing the resources to carry those promises out.

It's this "money left on the table" that provided the surplus they're currently attempting to use to turn their fortunes around

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
How I ended up 'liking' the Conservative Party on Facebook without knowing it - Politics - CBC News

I'm sorry, but I'd vote for little green men with santa hats on before I'd even consider putting my "X" beside somebody from the CPC camp. Ethics matter... if they feel the need to publically lie and cheat their way into office, I can only imagine what they're up to when the cameras and mikes aren't on. (Actually we don't have to work all that hard to imagine it... we see the kind of crap that goes on through the multitude of criminal court cases involving either the CPC directly or their close friends and advisors).

I'm not sure of the back room dealings of Facebook, but I'll tell you this crap isnt new from ANY facebook groups/pages/companies. Not to defend the CPC, but if you check your activity log you'll probably find a half dozen pages you 'like' that you never even knew. This could be a simple matter of them hiring an advertising company to 'advertise' and (CPC's fault is here) they didnt vet how the advertising would be done.

Is that an 'ethics' issue? No, Id just say it points to more poor planning and decision making. "HEY! Advertise our platform! No, we dont want to know how you do it, but heres some money, do it!" seems to be more what happened here.

Latest posts