What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Cannot install Win 7 when SATA set to RAID

sakage.shinga

Hi guys,

Trying to install Windows 7 Home Premium on my new rig. Turns out that I can't do that if my SATA is set to RAID mode. I did so because I have two WD Reds that will be used in RAID 1. If I install Win 7 with SATA set to AHCI, can I configure it to RAID mode later when I do connect the two WD Reds without affecting anything? Thanks!

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Normally windows install should see the raid array. Unless it wants drivers for your onboard raid setup.

If you install in ahci and try do it later from what I know bout onboard raid it formats drives to combine them.

I think during install or in options you can choose to install 3rd party drivers.

KaptCrunch

push F6 option to install raid drivers during windows install,

note get current driver (f6) for MB Intel RSTe raid driver

This driver supports RAID 0, 1, 5 and 10. The driver should be installed after the operating system has been installed. F6 and RAID BIOS configurations need to be performed prior to installation of this driver for proper operation.

and use the Brown sata for raid

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Iv seen the f6 option in xp in win 7 there's a button to land driver as you begin the drive setup.

sakage.shinga

Ahh ok. I'll do that. I actually left the WD Reds disconnected and only the SSD is connected during OS install. Thanks!

enaberif

Windows 7 should not NEED any drivers for RAID.

Your motherboard will generally have two sets of sata ports and one set is for Marvell and one set is for Intel.

Make sure all your drives are on the Intel controller.

MARSTG

Windows 7 should not NEED any drivers for RAID.
Believe it ot not, I just installed Win7Ultimate SP1 yesterday and the HDD was on a Silicon Image 3132 controller, and it was asking for the drivers! Could not go on til I provided the drivers, and the drivers were from 2009!

Shadowarez

Folding Team
It happens time to time used to have to create our own custom version of windows for custom rigs. With integrated drivers.

enaberif

Believe it ot not, I just installed Win7Ultimate SP1 yesterday and the HDD was on a Silicon Image 3132 controller, and it was asking for the drivers! Could not go on til I provided the drivers, and the drivers were from 2009!
Yeah well thats because of a non-standard controller.. hence why I said should not need.

Most modern consumer boards are running either Intel or Marvell now.

sakage.shinga

Yeah well thats because of a non-standard controller.. hence why I said should not need.

Most modern consumer boards are running either Intel or Marvell now.
I downloaded Intel Rapid Storage Technology Software from Asus. Pressed F6 during Windows 7 Install and loaded the driver and everything worked out.

Could it be because my copy of Windows 7 is really, REALLY old???