What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Cannot install Win 7 when SATA set to RAID

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Normally they leave the tinkering to us. When it came out that controller probably wasn't on the ms hal list. Most High-End comps iv built had to use a custom version of Os to support all new hardware.

sakage.shinga

Well it's all good now. Here's another headscratcher though.

My old build has a hotswap dock on the case that allows me to plug in a SATA HDD/SSD. Today I tried to plug in my storage drive to access the applications I sotred on there, but every few files I pulled out of it through the hot swap dock would be corrupted. I ran the disk through check disk and it found a lot of errors. After the scan, I pulled the files again but they were still corrupted. However, when I moved the HDD to my new build and installed it inside the cage with power/SATA cables, all the files were fine...

Weird

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Could be the dock/connectors inside dust does odd things to components. Iv only had issues with internal zip drives back in day.

sakage.shinga

Could be the dock/connectors inside dust does odd things to components. Iv only had issues with internal zip drives back in day.
Could be. Now I'm regretting letting check disk run during reboot. It "fixed" several indexes and whatnot... Hope it didn't end up corrupting many files.

Last edited:

Shadowarez

Folding Team
I switched to External Hdds since my media collection has grown above 2 Tb. And they normally have better cooling. Iv seen chkdsk do more harm then good. Just keep important things backed up.

sakage.shinga

Looks like it's mostly fine as far as I can tell. Tried a few random rar packs and they all unzipped successfully. Fingers crossed. New rig does still try to check the disk though and I keep skipping it.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
On a back up disk I'd use cmd line to check it. Use chkdsk (drive letter)/f /X that unmounts and fixes any issues.

Chkdsk D: /f /x as a example if D wad the back up drive

sakage.shinga

Well I think I've narrowed down the problem to the SATA cables. Specifically the two used to connect the external hotswap bay and one of the internal drives. I did a MD5/SHA-1 checksum test on a given file transferred via both of those cables on the old rig to its storage drive, and both times the files came out corrupted. I took the hdd that contained that file and moved it to my new rig and did another transfer and everything was fine. I then took that file (now on the new rig) and transferred it back to the old build via a USB drive and guess what, it's fine too.

So many points of failure though. A few years ago I had faulty RAM that would corrupt all of my file transfers and also my OS. And now it's SATA cables.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Ahh Technology ain't it great. I can only imagine the fun I'll have building this new rig with all The highest End parts available.

Latest posts

Twitter