What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Can't boot to BIOS

steve30

Hey, I recently purchased a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard and I think that it may be defective.

What happened is I felt like underclocking to see how cool everything would get (I really wish I didn't do this). I went into the BIOS and set my CPU host frequency from 266 mhz down to 100 mhz, and then I rebooted the computer and two seconds later it shut down, then restart, and went through this procedure about 10 times before I decided to shut it down.

Now, I was able to test my CPU, power supply, memory, and my video card and they all worked perfectly. So I am positive that the problem is the motherboard.

And another problem is that I can't reset the BIOS, I removed the battery for 5 minutes and put the jumper on the clear cmos pins. So that won't work, and I unplugged everything and plugged it back in. I think that the problem may not be enough voltage since I underclocked it, but I think there is something else since I can't even reset the BIOS.

I looked everywhere and no one has the same problem as I do, so I thought I would post the problem here and hopefully someone knows how to fix this.

P.S. I also contacted the manufacturer about this problem and I am waiting for a response still.

Supergrover

Still here? We're getting pretty close to that 5% of unrecoverable “no post” faults, but there's a chance that a “long” c-mos reset might be the ticket to send you back to your happy place.
  • Disconnect the PSU power plug, and press the “on” switch to drain the capacitors on your PSU & motherboard.
  • Remove the battery from the motherboard.
  • Set the c-mos jumper for full reset & leave it set for 24 hours.
  • Do a long reset​

steve30

Well... I just tried step 9 of the no post guide, the long cmos restart, and it did not work :sad:. Same problem, the computer starts for 3 seconds and shuts down, then starts again, then shuts down again. I tried swapping the memory into each four slots, i took out the video card, and the cmos battery. I still think that the problem is not enough voltage and that I can't reset the bios for some reason.

But, if there are any more ideas on how to get this working, please let me know, because I think I will return this and get a new one.

Anyway, thanks for the help! I know I won't do anymore underclocking for a while.

sswilson

Staff member
That's probably about the only thing you can try other than getting a different CPU to try in the slot to see if that kickstarts the bios into default settings.

(You can also try powering up without the cpu in the socket... I doubt it will work, but you never know..... ).

steve30

I tried the powering up without the Cpu, and the computer just ran without beeps and video, but when I was testing the Cpu in another computer, I placed the other one in mine for that reason, thinking it could jump start the bios. Maybe I just have really bad luck, but I'm picking up a new board today.
Thanks for the help though.

enaberif

I tried the powering up without the Cpu, and the computer just ran without beeps and video, but when I was testing the Cpu in another computer, I placed the other one in mine for that reason, thinking it could jump start the bios. Maybe I just have really bad luck, but I'm picking up a new board today.
Thanks for the help though.
IF you have a speaker hooked upto the computer and you start the computer and you get no beeps you have a dead board. Motherboards beep for 1 of 4 things.

1) no cpu
2) no memory
3) no video
4) single post beep; everything is ok

if you get none it means the board is whack or dead.

steve30

I hooked up the speaker but I did not get any beeps, instead I got static, like a dead channel on the radio or tv, so i guess the board is dead.

Latest posts

Twitter