What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Can't get fan to spin MSI 7970

MrDiaz

Hey folks,

Just recently bought a MSI 7970, was pretty excited to do some gaming with it. I noticed every time I play a game for longer than 5 minutes, the system freezes. At first, I thought the issue was the drivers not being the latest, but as I was tweaking here and there... I noticed GPU-Z gave me "-RPM" on the fan speed, I found this odd so I opened my case and looked at the card and indeed! The fan wasn't spinning.

Any idea what could be causing this? Do I have a dead card? Do I need to RMA?

I have an OCZ 600W power supply.

MrDiaz

I'm hoping that if I call NCIX they can replace the card for me? Or do I have to do an RMA no matter what?

Pabz0r545

If you just bought the card and it is within the exchange time you should be able to just return/exchange it. Hopefully it wasn't an amazing black friday deal that is now sold out.

MrDiaz

If you just bought the card and it is within the exchange time you should be able to just return/exchange it. Hopefully it wasn't an amazing black friday deal that is now sold out.

It was a black friday deal indeed, if they don't have stock I don't think that's the customer's problem :p

Pabz0r545

It was a black friday deal indeed, if they don't have stock I don't think that's the customer's problem :p

It is because they won't be able to simply exchange it for another card and likely they will refund your money or give you a credit.

RMA might be the better way to go on that.

MrDiaz

It is because they won't be able to simply exchange it for another card and likely they will refund your money or give you a credit.

RMA might be the better way to go on that.

I was also thinking in getting them to give me the XFX model instead. Thoughts?
XFX Radeon HD 7970 Double D 925MHZ 3GB 5.5GHZ DDR5 2XMINI-DP HDMI DVI PCI-E Video Card

All my cards have been XFX (for the past 6 years), I love those guys

EDIT: So I called NCIX, they told me to bring in the card to the store, they will replace it right away, if they don't have it in stock they will order one in for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts