What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Car advice? Durable, comfortable, 4wd

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Verrrrrry off topic, but what the hell.

I've had a Mitsubishi Outlander a couple of years now, but I'm not sure I want to keep it. It's let me down with reliability a bit, and is definitely prone to being "wobby" - something I found out in the worst way possible: feeling my car literally Lean.

Anyway. I'm looking for a suggestions from you guys, but unfortunately it won't be easy since I've got a lot of problems and requirements...

1) Comfortable.
My medical issues mean big bumps, pot holes and being jostled around leads to a Lot of pain. A lot. So I need something with suspension, shocks, seats, and rest made more for comfort than performance.

2) Reliability.
For obvious reasons I don't drive often, nor far. Need my car to be able to survive essentially sitting for up to a week at a time (even in winter) without breaking. I don't much like unexpected repairs and bills either.

3) 4wd/awd
I hate being stuck, don't much care for FWD cars at all, so I'd like to stick with AWD at least.

4) price.
Ah. Therein lies the rub. I'm off work, don't have a lot of money at all. So, it's going to be a stretch to afford even something around 15k. So we're talking used, 6+ years old, probably going to have to do financing and live our of the dollar store for years while I pay it off...

It took me months to choose my Outlander, and I'm not certain I'm replacing it yet. But I'd like to hear your thoughts and suggestions on this.

So far, my only ideas have been an A- series Audi (probably far too bumpy?) or a modern Range Rover (but reliability isn't something they're known for, although the newer generations *I've heard* are far better than they used to be).

Thanks all.

Mr. Friendly

bumps can be ironed out on almost all vehicles with better shocks / struts...tires to a point as well.

do you want a car? SUV? Crossover? Van?

Shadowmeph

I am sure that there is a difference between a 4wd and a suv type awd I have driven both and 4 wds are fior me allot better in say conditions like whats going on here with this arctic but I am curious as to what responses come

CMetaphor

Quadfather
bumps can be ironed out on almost all vehicles with better shocks / struts...tires to a point as well.

do you want a car? SUV? Crossover? Van?
I won't have the money to spend thousands modifying a car once I get it, so really need a good ride stock.

Don't really care in the car type, sorta? I got my SUV because it helped the family a bit, but I don't much like the wobble. A more modern SUV (like a RR) with fancy suspension will still be tall but doesn't have the wobble. The suspension counters it. Otherwise, I guess I'd lean towards a car to avoid the wobble, even if it is a bit more difficult for me to get into/out of*.

*= I didn't list this as a requirement because I've realized getting a car for how easy or not easy it is to get into or out of was a pretty silly thing to do...

JD

Staff member
I would think an Audi and a Range Rover would be awfully expensive to maintain, though that applies to basically all the German brands.

Maybe a Subaru Forester?

Is it generally parked in a garage or sitting outside in the elements?

gingerbee

Chevy Trax used can be had for pretty cheap and as long as you get the 1.4 turbo your good and durability just have very good results with this engine and mother in law loves her Trax. good AWD and you can get them for around 6 to 10 thousand used.

But if what you want to spend is lower I would say a Subaru you can get them super cheap if you get a older one or an old chevy truck like one from the 90. the way I look at it chevy cheap to fix if you have any problems but my 1.4 has been bulletproof and have a couple of folks I know who have them at pretty high kilometers 200 000 k.

only thing I would avoid for sure is newer fords with a CVT since there's a class-action lawsuit over there CVT tranny just my2cents good luck on anything you get

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I would think an Audi and a Range Rover would be awfully expensive to maintain, though that applies to basically all the German brands.

Maybe a Subaru Forester?

Is it generally parked in a garage or sitting outside in the elements?
Sitting outside, totally exposed, unfortunately. My town doesn't even allow tempos.

Expensive to maintain? Yeah, possibly. But if it's less likely to break in the first place, maybe it'll be better overall?

I think I drove a Subaru when I spent months looking for a car last time. The ride was surprisingly rough and the CVT was very annoying too. Can't remember which one it was though, maybe the Crosstrek or legacy? Do they all ride the same?

supaflyx3

Subaru Forester if you want AWD, comfort, "cheap" and not worrying about getting stuck. Low km 6-10 year old foresters can be had for under 10k. A few friends have them and they're nice in the snow

Latest posts

Twitter