What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Car advice? Durable, comfortable, 4wd

moocow

All soft suspension vehicle tend to lean a lot, even my sister's leased Audi Q3 does that. The only one that didn't lean a lot but not overly harsh was a first gen BMW X1 that she leased before the Audi. As a BMW owner, I must warn you against buying German stuff unless you can get a certified pre-owned one with factory warranty. Most if not all of them will require 91 Octane gas unless you want to destroy the engine in the long run.

The Subaru CVT got a pretty bad rep and they are buzzy / dentist drill like in terms of noise. Not sure how bad is the head gasket issue with the new FA engine. In my Subaru beater, I have the older EJ engine which leaked a lot of oil and destroys head gaskets. Had that twice and on my 2nd engine.

May be a 3rd gen+ Rav 4 (2006 to 2012 is Gen 2, 2013 to 2018 is Gen 3, 2019 + is Gen 4)? You just have to figure out if it's good old torque converter automatic or crappy CVT. Or 2nd gen+ Lexus RX? The problem is that those cars are so old that you still have to put some money into fixing things like worn suspensions and bushings. Plus Toyota / Lexus tend to have soft suspensions and zero road feedback. But if they are well maintained, the drivetrain is bullet proof.

Lpfan4ever

Any non-sporty, higher riding SUV is going to have body roll. Either you upgrade suspension to be stiff, or you lower it and lose some ride height. Either way you lose comfort over stock. Maybe something equipped with Magneride or similar would be the best happy medium.

Also a Land Rover is about the least reliable thing you could possibly buy. Even the newer stuff is far less reliable than the competition, even if it's better than before.

Izerous

I don't like the 2007+ Outlanders except the PHEV. The 2004 I have is way more enjoyable to drive over the modern 2.4L equivalent and I hate CVT equipped vehicles and try to avoid them when possible but in the smaller SUV segment it is getting pretty hard to avoid them.

I always had a soft spot for the Forester XT but it was discontinued so only used models are available and kinda rare.

I really liked the test drive in the XC-40 I'd consider a T5 R-Design and it doesn't have a CVT. The Acura/Lexus equivalents seemed mehh.

Jeep Sahara with options I might have wanted would have been thousands more than the XC40 and the Jeep wasn't that nice. And the Gladiator is even more unrealistically priced.

Honda passport feel soul sucking to drive.

All the smaller Nissan's are CVT equipped and think the pathfinder as the smallest without a CVT.

I have not looked closely at what Toyota has to offer lately but the dealerships around here are horrid and the last two Toyota's I spent time one (corolla/tundra) left me not wanting one in my driveway.

I'll probably end up driving this 2004 until it dies since the only things I can find that I'd enjoy replacing it with start at 45k+ new if not more. AWD, 25% under driven and a few more tweaks and I don't often have to put money into it. I started looking around only because of the rust that starts to form on almost all of the 1st gens. And I can either put a bit of money into fixing the rust before it gets severe or put it towards soemthing newer.

I nall honesty I almost put a deposit on a 2003 Airtrek Turbo R. Essentially Evo engine dropped into a first gen but was never sold here. They are finally old enough to import though.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Land Rover may be less reliable, but I think it would be more durable. Able to survive potholes and the like better than some of the others. Also, all modern LRs (without exception I think) that use variable suspension can use that suspension to stop body roll. I recall the TH test of a RR sport that was very impressive, flat even on a track driven fast, yet still comfortable and capable off-road.

Volvo.
Now there's an interesting idea. I never had to opportunity to test one last time, but have always liked the XC range. Provided there are no CVTs around, it might also be an interesting option.

(I will reply again to everyone more properly next time as it's late and I be tired)

Thanks for all the feedback so far everyone!

KaptCrunch

As for ride place 100-300lbs behind the rear wheels for smooth ride.

To test any vehicle just rent for weekend deal would save a lot money then buying an not like it.

Manual trans out of the question?

gingerbee

yup, me too but nowadays I have learned that so many car companies don't even make a lot of there own cars for example. all the small displacement engines in chevy's new line are Opel engines from when GM owned Opel.

I can also say if you plan on driving on a lot of backroads and offroad then no the Trax is not for you the Trax is a city SUV its not a range rover.
It sounds like you need on older Toyota 4 runner only downside is they're not great on gas but I don't think that will be a problem for you if you do not drive much.

Ya, I would say old suburb or old Toyota. good luck any which way you go. I hate car buying it's like playing the lottery lol

Izerous

yup, me too but nowadays I have learned that so many car companies don't even make a lot of there own cars for example. all the small displacement engines in chevy's new line are Opel engines from when GM owned Opel.
Added this as a spoiler since it is a bit longer and getting quite off topic.
Dodge Raider = Built and imported by Mitsubishi for Dodge and that was from the 80s.

A portion of the 4 cylinder engines dodge used in the 90 and event into the 00s were based on Mitsubishi designs if not in part using mitsubishi parts. (Including some of the neon/sx2.0 srt stuff). That doesn't even go into the fact that the Dodge Stealth is a re-skinned 3000GT, or the DSM twins being based more on Mitsu designs than Dodge.

The Hyundai Sirius engine is actually a Mitsubishi engine and it was used in various Hyundai, Kia and Great Wall cars. The 4G69 that I have in my 2004 was used in more non-Mitsubishi models than it was actual Mitsubishis.

The INVECS II transmissions mitsubishi uses (last of their automatics and what I have in my 2004) are based on porsche designs.

Dodge eco diesel engine is a european design sourced by Fiat and has Cummins had nothing to do with the design.

Other companies are doing the same thing I have just done more research around Dodge/Mitsubishi due to what is in the garage and driveway. When Mistu came to NA they made huge deals with Dodge to help them get in the Country. I have been looking into odd things like can I take a V6TT 3000GT engine swap it into my project truck and turn it into a unique 1953 Dodge turbo truck, but how do I convert a FWD/AWD drivetrain into RWD only... oh swap in a Hyundai RWD transmission that will bolt to the engine due to this relationship etc. Because of how rare these trucks are compared to their Chevy/Ford counterparts I want to keep it with a Dodge or Dodge adjacent drivetrain and with the V6TT swap on some Dodge stealth valve covers and it would be a "Dodge" engine.

Back on topic (kind of)... From what I have found the Europeans are staying away from the CVTs for now, so Volvo, BMW, VW etc even in their smaller SUVs are still mostly automatics for now. It has mostly been the Asian brands that have accepted them with open arms.

If you look at what driving in Japan is like compared to here it makes sense why they would adopt them. You can also blame the US CAFE regulations and fleet average requirements, if it gets much worse could be another era of the gutless and useless vehicles from the 70s and early 80s just to meet the CAFE numbers. Already seeing that with 1.3-1.6L turbo engines replacing 2-2.4L engine options.

Mr. Friendly

hey CM...perhaps tighten the suspention on your Outlander and get softer tires? get rid of the roll but still be easy on bumps and stuff.

Shadowmeph

I won't have the money to spend thousands modifying a car once I get it, so really need a good ride stock.

Don't really care in the car type, sorta? I got my SUV because it helped the family a bit, but I don't much like the wobble. A more modern SUV (like a RR) with fancy suspension will still be tall but doesn't have the wobble. The suspension counters it. Otherwise, I guess I'd lean towards a car to avoid the wobble, even if it is a bit more difficult for me to get into/out of*.

*= I didn't list this as a requirement because I've realized getting a car for how easy or not easy it is to get into or out of was a pretty silly thing to do...
wobble? if your vehicle is wobbling get the tires checked some tires have defective sidewalls which will make the vehicle wobble very noticeable at lower speeds. I went through this in an older car i had worked in a tire shop tired were getting very worn out ( drove like an idiot back then) so the manager gave me brand spanking new tires to check out as a demo type thing after about one month I had this slight wobble and I couldn't figure it out the last thing I thought tha tit would be was the tires that were perfectly balanced for high speeds but after going through every single other thing I pulled a tire and checked the balance and it was off so I rebalanced all the tires again ... two week later the same thing started to happen so my boss pulled all the tires ( bridgestone) and contacted the company reported the defective soft side wall and I got new tires

Latest posts

Twitter