What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Car advice? Durable, comfortable, 4wd

FreeKnight

I've only kind of skimmed this so it's possible I'm not helping at all, but have you considered something like a used Acura RDX or a Lexus RX 350? SUV, but very comfortable ride and reasonable repair rates compared to a Land rover, much better reliability as well. Not drastically different in price from a top tier domestic, but still much less expensive than an Audi or Benz of similar class.

My 2013 RDX is part time AWD (aka activates when necessary), but with a set of winters it's been a beast in the snow. I use it as my work 'truck' doing pipeline and facility inspections, so if I can get onto a trap site in the middle of winter on a logging road, it should more than handle 90% of your needs.

I have a consumer report subscription as well, so if there's any particular model you'd like me to pull their ratings and reviews for let me know. They're not perfect, but it's probably the largest single auto database for reviews and reliability reviews around.

(Though I'm aiming at a GLC or Q5 next :D )

Izerous

You may also want to look at smaller trucks like the Frontier and Tacoma. Personally I found the Tacoma painfully uncomfortable but that has more to due with my height and the seating position than anything else I think.

But a short wheel base frontier or some equivalent Tacoma can be had with leather/heated seats. 2011+ Frontier don't carry the risk of SMOD pre 2010 you need to be more careful about. 2013 backup cameras became standard. Not sure what the most common problems with the Tacoma are.

Lysrin

Not sure if it was mentioned, I skimmed the thread only, but we have a Toyota Highlander now and really like it. Used they seem to hold their value but also hold up well. I see lots of the older ones on the roads here in NS still going and still looking good. Friend of my wife has one, 10 years old, and they still see no reason to part with it.

Don't know about used price range for a Highlander @CMetaphor , or if it would fit in your budget, but I'd certainly recommend it as a comfortable vehicle. We love ours around town and on the highway.

clshades

Dude if you are strapped for cash a jeep or 4runner is gonna cost more in fuel than payments on a brand new RAV4 hybrid.

My fuel costs are 200 per month, 510 payments, 200 insurance. My old Acura was 600/month in fuel. So cost of ownership in a hybrid is cheap. Round trip to town is 120km.

Someone mentioned the sienna. They are the highest rated all wheel drive mini van on the planet. I would have bought one but for the mass amounts of snow where I live. 300 cm since January 1st.

I researched vehicles for months and months, Toyota always came back to the top of the list. All I'm gonna say is read read read, and watch reviews.

Last edited:

Izerous

I know a few people who have had Siennas won't argue about comfort but one of the things mentioned earlier about mobility issues etc... Siennas are easy to get stuck and difficult to get unstuck compared to the other vehicles being discussed. Their low ground clearance combined with their wheelbase makes them easy to high center even on a snowbank that would be a speed bump for other vehicles. Shorter wheelbase or higher ground clearance would be harder to get stuck.

In the dead of winter to be able to get in and go and not worry about road conditions as much mini-van probably isn't the right way to go.

clshades

I know a few people who have had Siennas won't argue about comfort but one of the things mentioned earlier about mobility issues etc... Siennas are easy to get stuck and difficult to get unstuck compared to the other vehicles being discussed. Their low ground clearance combined with their wheelbase makes them easy to high center even on a snowbank that would be a speed bump for other vehicles. Shorter wheelbase or higher ground clearance would be harder to get stuck.

In the dead of winter to be able to get in and go and not worry about road conditions as much mini-van probably isn't the right way to go.
Big White has a fleet of Sienna's. Let's be honest, the average day up here is your worst day anywhere else. Most snow days aren't gonna be an issue imo. They can be lifted about 6" too. Lowest MPG all wheel drive van.

Cptn Vortex

Lexus RX may be worth looking into. Not outrageous parts/repair prices, and Toyota quality +1 (heard from somewhere in the past, the Lexus techs are usually the ones who excell at the Toyota plants, get promoted to Lexus if they are especially good). A buddy has a GX470 and it's a beast. Very comfortable (although a pig on gas). I can imagine the RX to be decent on fuel and maintain a nice ride.

Herne

We are on our second Odyssey, and you are still talking about big tires so it moves well. The Hakkapeliittas definitely help. If you are very rural the Hybrid RAV4 sounds right both for the clearance and reduced fuel cost.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
thanks for the replies all, sorry i havent been online much recently.
things are... difficult. made moreso by worsening health and very limited funds.

my little list of possibilities so far is:
- Lexus rx-series suv
- Toyota 4runner or highlander
- Range rover* (hey its a dream car, cant drop it just yet)
- acura suv
(im missing some, will get to them when i can)

someone said fuel prices? not an issue, im off work and drive once a week, maybe twice. Some of that is down to not feeling safe driving it though. I just want something safe, comfortable and reliable.

*Speaking of range rovers.. I may have found one? its via a transport company, which ive never used before, but the car itself seems good?
<60,000 kms. 2014 RR supercharged (good thing gas isnt an issue)
Frankly, its gorgeous. and the best part: somehow the owner is only asking 12k. Thats basically the same as what I paid for my outlander, so as long as I can get an okay amount for it, the damage to my pocketbook wont be toooooo bad.

Ive got a lot of thinking to do, which isnt easy when youre in a bad situation... I dont want to be rushed into a purchase I may regret, but 12k is also 4-6K cheaper than any similar RR ive seen so far, so I dont know what to do...

Latest posts

Twitter