What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Car advice? Durable, comfortable, 4wd

CMetaphor

Quadfather
No BBB listing, but every single forum post I can find questioning whether it is legitimate or not has multiple replies stating it's trustworthy. Every post is the same "never heard of them, is it safe?" And the answer always seems to be a resounding yes. Hmmm

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Again... sounds like a setup to me.... but I agree, I didn't follow through any of the links to posts, but I did note that there were some older dated ones as opposed to just a bunch created over the last 6 months.

JD

Staff member
So you can't even see or test drive the car? They're just going to deliver it after you pay?

Can they produce a safety report or something from a licensed mechanic that you can call and verify with? Make sure you lookup said mechanic/shop and call them directly and not with whatever number given.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
So you can't even see or test drive the car? They're just going to deliver it after you pay?

Can they produce a safety report or something from a licensed mechanic that you can call and verify with? Make sure you lookup said mechanic/shop and call them directly and not with whatever number given.
I intend to use the VIN number to get a full service history from a dealership. And the transfer service withholds funds And allows for refunds is something is wrong. So I'm not *as * concerned about their service. The seller themselves though... That's another matter. I've emailed them again directly, voicing my concerns and questions in a blunt way. We'll see what they say.

In the meantime, I'm going to be looking for test drives with some of the other options mentioned here. In my situation, everything is secondary to the comfort, unfortunately. A car that's built like a tank and never needs to be serviced still won't work for me if I my makes my whole body scream in pain from going over a pothole.* Yes, it's that bad.

*= Which is most Subarus I've driven have been bad. I'm going to try a forester and others I haven't tried, but every Subaru I have driven this far has been jarring at least. Plus, CVTs are very annoying (and expensive to service) and boxer engines aren't much better, imo.

Herne

I intend to use the VIN number to get a full service history from a dealership. And the transfer service withholds funds And allows for refunds is something is wrong. So I'm not *as * concerned about their service. The seller themselves though... That's another matter. I've emailed them again directly, voicing my concerns and questions in a blunt way. We'll see what they say.
Big risk here. I might do this if I was looking for that cool extra car, but not for a daily driver.

To remote buy you need to find a mechanic you can trust at that location and almost certainly take it to them yourself. If all goes well, then let them ship it. I get tempted now and again by Bringatrailer (like this Pallas or a GTV) but never for a car I need. (and my wife would likely try and make me get rid of my summer car I haven't been using much.)

Last edited:

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I decided against the RR entirely as the current owner seemed vague when I pressed for details and then conveniently brought up a sudden "second buyer" who was going to take it if I didn't hurry up. Probably dodged a bullet.

So back to regular cars then.
Highlander (and Toyotas in general) are towards the top of my list, but it seems like people hang onto them forever, aka not many used At All.

Lysrin

Interesting little tidbit from when we bought our Highlander here in NS. The dealership told us that people frequently fly down from Ontario, buy a Highlander and drive it back. Apparently the stock is low in Ontario (due to demand), and the price is higher. So it works out for them to actually get one and not wait, and price, to come here and buy one. I definitely see a lot of Highlanders on the roads around here so they are popular here as well, but there aren't as many of us as you Upper Canadians ;)

clshades

Yeah, it is highly suspicious and highly doubtful. But the person doesn't *seem* to be a con artist, and most importantly:
They're claiming that they are going to use a vehicle transport service and a go-between. Because the car is located so far away, they're going to ship it to me and *freeze the funds for ten days* , until I am satisfied or whatever.
The service in question is called "Gaete-Talbert Corporation" or GTC. And it, too, *seems* to be legitimate...

I don't know what to do. A dream car being dangled before my eyes is hard to ignore...
Dude. Walk away from this.

clshades

I decided against the RR entirely as the current owner seemed vague when I pressed for details and then conveniently brought up a sudden "second buyer" who was going to take it if I didn't hurry up. Probably dodged a bullet.

So back to regular cars then.
Highlander (and Toyotas in general) are towards the top of my list, but it seems like people hang onto them forever, aka not many used At All.
Ah good just saw this. Total scam.

Twitter