What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Car advice? Durable, comfortable, 4wd

MARSTG

Top end american models are very comfy. There are some models with pneumatic suspension, in Expedition is called self leveling suspension, Lincoln Navigator has it as well, also VW Tuareg ( Q7 & Cayenne ) has it. In Expedition this suspension is an optional feature but the Navigator offers it by default. 3.0charlie had a second gen Expedition, you can ask him more details on it. For the comfort and the 4x4 I would bet on a Navigator .

LegendMask

No love for the Mazda CX-9?

I had the 2016 and now 2019 and I must say they came along way.... so 2016 should still be really good option, my only concern about your needs are that 2016 has a more sporty suspension than the newer models. As I have noticed when I got the 2019 the suspensions are very almost too lean...

so somewhere between 2017-2019 looks like they have changed the suspensions.

In my opinion, I highly suggest to give it a look.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
@LegendMask I've tried a lot of Mazdas, but they're tuned for handling and shake my back to pieces :(

@MARSTG
Ah The Toureg, I've heard good things about the second gen one, so I'll add it to the list for sure. The massive American SUVs I'm a bit more hesitant to get though. I don't need three rows or huge V8s. A 6 cyl diesel with a regular automatic would be plenty for me. Also, I've always heard horror stories about the interiors for American Cars. Cheaply made and uncomfortable seats.

Someone also mentioned pickup trucks? If I could find one that rode well I'd consider it for sure. But every single one I've ever tried has leaned in the corners and been super bouncy/uncomfortable. They're made for carrying things that I'll never carry, so I wouldn't use the vehicle properly anyway...

Izerous

I agree about the trucks when talking 1/2 tonne trucks and heavier but it's why I specified the smaller trucks. Their suspension is not built nearly as heavy as a full sized truck and a 2014 or so Frontier SL or maybe a Pro4x Luxury edition with the V6 and auto should be relatively cheapish.

Lpfan4ever

The problem is he wants impossible suspension. If it's soft and compliant, you're getting body roll. If it's stiff, you're not getting body roll but you're instead feeling it in your body. The only away around that is adjustable dampers, Magneride, etc. Switching to smaller rims with more sidewall will help with harshness, but that's not going to be night and day difference either way.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
The problem is he wants impossible suspension. If it's soft and compliant, you're getting body roll. If it's stiff, you're not getting body roll but you're instead feeling it in your body. The only away around that is adjustable dampers, Magneride, etc. Switching to smaller rims with more sidewall will help with harshness, but that's not going to be night and day difference either way.
Kinda insulting? It's not impossible by any means, and you yourself listed how it's possible: adjustible dampers is an option. Many SUVs and medium sized cars or bigger have them. Even just a simple ride height adjustment will make a huge difference in the center of gravity and stability/ride, depending on the height chosen.

So it's not impossible, by any means. There may even be cars with a wide enough stance and low enough center of gravity with regular suspension that don't have a rollover risk either. But my current car Does have the risk (and the sticker to prove it), something which I nearly experienced firsthand and never want to experience again.

Lpfan4ever

Insulting? No. Just trying to reel in expectations a bit. Usually stuff like I mentioned is in the upper echelon of normal-people pricing. If you buy a lease return and the adjustable dampers need a ton of work within a year or two, your budget just got destroyed. My Focus is nearing time to replace them and it's looking around $1500 for decent stuff.

MARSTG

The only 6 cylinder Diesel would be the Grand Cherokee eco Diesel and Dodge Ram of the same era, that ended in 2008. And the Mercedes ML ( I saw one from 2008 on FB Marketplace for 5500$ driven 210.000 km ). I mentioned Expedition/Navigator only for the pneumatic suspension which is what you need, third row and big V8 are tradeoffs you need to make to achieve your comfort. Not to mention these vehicles would be cheap to buy, cheap to repair, even with a budget of 10.000. I would say go and make a test drive in one of those, and if you really want to test it in an area full of potholes I recommend Queen Mary, uphill from Décarie, is like a war zone there. Saw a Cayenne from 2005 for 5000, 213.000 km. Now, if a Cayenne is not comfortable, I don't know what is, in your budget. Obviously V8 gas engine. Here

Last edited:

MARSTG

The only 6 cylinder Diesel would be the Grand Cherokee eco Diesel and Dodge Ram of the same era, that ended in 2008. And the Mercedes ML ( I saw one from 2008 on FB Marketplace for 5500$ driven 210.000 km ). I mentioned Expedition/Navigator only for the pneumatic suspension which is what you need, third row and big V8 are tradeoffs you need to make to achieve your comfort. Not to mention these vehicles would be cheap to buy, cheap to repair, even with a budget of 10.000. I would say go and make a test drive in one of those, and if you really want to test it in an area full of potholes I recommend Queen Mary, uphill from Décarie, is like a war zone . Saw a Cayenne 2005 for 5000$ with 213.000 I'm. 4.5L V8, but comfy, just what you need, and in your budget, with room to spare, for some repairs, if needed. Here

Latest posts

Twitter