What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Car advice? Durable, comfortable, 4wd

Herne

Land Rover may be less reliable, but I think it would be more durable. Able to survive potholes and the like better than some of the others. Also, all modern LRs (without exception I think) that use variable suspension can use that suspension to stop body roll. I recall the TH test of a RR sport that was very impressive, flat even on a track driven fast, yet still comfortable and capable off-road.

Volvo.
Now there's an interesting idea. I never had to opportunity to test one last time, but have always liked the XC range. Provided there are no CVTs around, it might also be an interesting option.

(I will reply again to everyone more properly next time as it's late and I be tired)

Thanks for all the feedback so far everyone!
Love Range Rovers, but you would end up paying a bunch maintenance on a used one. Volvo's new design language is gorgeous but it's not cheap.

If you want reasonably priced and reliable you have a bunch of AWD choices in Toyota's lineup. Using my address +250km I saw AWD Siennas if you want great but not cool, some well equipped RAV4 less than 5 years old, and some older Highlanders; all $15k or less.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Manual trans out of the question?
Can't. Clutch pedal hurts my legs too much. thats why i had to change cars last time.
I can also say if you plan on driving on a lot of backroads and offroad then no the Trax is not for you the Trax is a city SUV its not a range rover.
It sounds like you need on older Toyota 4 runner only downside is they're not great on gas but I don't think that will be a problem for you if you do not drive much.

Ya, I would say old suburb or old Toyota. good luck any which way you go. I hate car buying it's like playing the lottery lol
ah, so no trax then. i need to have awd at least because i hate getting stuck. when i need to drive i NEED to drive, for things like getting medication - sometimes i cant wait a day or two before having to go somewhere.
i do like 4runners but never tried one, ill add it to the list.
get an older Jeep Grand Cherokee.
afaik arent jeeps the least reliable of all? plus american cars just dont have quality at all really.
Back on topic (kind of)... From what I have found the Europeans are staying away from the CVTs for now, so Volvo, BMW, VW etc even in their smaller SUVs are still mostly automatics for now. It has mostly been the Asian brands that have accepted them with open arms.

If you look at what driving in Japan is like compared to here it makes sense why they would adopt them. You can also blame the US CAFE regulations and fleet average requirements, if it gets much worse could be another era of the gutless and useless vehicles from the 70s and early 80s just to meet the CAFE numbers. Already seeing that with 1.3-1.6L turbo engines replacing 2-2.4L engine options.
i already considered on trying to stick to european brands, so i guess thats a decision made right there. cvts are just awful. gotta have an auto.
hey CM...perhaps tighten the suspention on your Outlander and get softer tires? get rid of the roll but still be easy on bumps and stuff.
i cant really afford to spend thousands modding, ill only have a bit of money with i sell my current car...
wobble as in the elk test. as in i nearly rolled the suv once having to dodge a bad driver on the met in mtl. I literally felt my car go light and lean. scariest experience of my recent life and i absoutely dont want it to happen again.
Love Range Rovers, but you would end up paying a bunch maintenance on a used one. Volvo's new design language is gorgeous but it's not cheap.

If you want reasonably priced and reliable you have a bunch of AWD choices in Toyota's lineup. Using my address +250km I saw AWD Siennas if you want great but not cool, some well equipped RAV4 less than 5 years old, and some older Highlanders; all $15k or less.
always liked highlanders, already on the list to be tried out. the brits on shows like TG have been boasting about LR/s improved quality and reliability since the early 2010s, were they lying? exaggerating?

thanks for the replies all. sry for the non caps, my micro laptop's keyboard is hard to use.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

gingerbee

the Trax is awd/4x4 but it's not a high torque or horsepower so its not good for doing offroading light offroad is what its made for but it won't climb a mountain up a super messed up driveway no problem But its sounds like you live in the deep bush. If I am wrong then take a look at it but if you do live in the deep bush then it's not for you. it's for soccer moms who never want to be stuck in Canada

Yes I know companies Have had contracts to build cars for other company/s that cant make for the same price/profit margin but nowadays it's totally out of control cause the big 5 own said other company/s or they just don't want to tool up a whole new line for one or 2 cars

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Jeeps have their issues...but parts are easy to access because of all the third party modifications a lot of models have done to them.

I plan on getting myself a 1998 Grand Cherokee some time in the future...considered the best year for the series.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Sorry I messed up the multi quote, it's fixed now.

@gingerbee no I don't live in the bush at all. But since I am physically not always able to shovel snow, and since my city tends to make massive speedbumps at the end of every driveway, I need a car that can get me out and regardless of the weather. A "part time" system is okay, but the minimum. My outlander has a switch to force a minimum percentage to the front or back, so with traction control off I can get myself out of bad snow with it. So ya, that kind of setup is about the minimum. I realize that anything beyond this is strictly SUV/offroader territory, but for the right car (like one which can't fall over or shatter my spine) I'd be willing to have a simple-ish awd system.

In other words, I know I'm going to have to compromise somehow.

Herne

always liked highlanders, already on the list to be tried out. the brits on shows like TG have been boasting about LR/s improved quality and reliability since the early 2010s, were they lying? exaggerating?
I am sure they have improved quality, but they are still rated on or about the lowest. And any parts won't be cheap.

KaptCrunch

Drive a north American domestic
Cheaper for you when making deals
With land rover seller will add more to purchase

gingerbee

well then you should take a look at the Trax it does come base model front-wheel drive but all other trim levels are AWD and it gets pretty good mileage and is cheap to fix being a chevy. seen them used at 80k for 11000$ BNIB there only like 25G for the AWD versions

Latest posts