What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Cardboard test bench

moocow

I got an old i7 2600k system that I want to test out and take pictures before selling it. Since I'm out of cases, how safe is it to place the board and PSU on a piece of cardboard or lid of a Rubbermaid large bin for testing? In theory I think it's ok since the board isn't touching anything metal. Thoughts?

Izerous

Tested so many motherboards just on the box theu came from over the years.

JD

Staff member
Rubbermaid large bin
Usually those things are full of static...

Right on your desk should be fine too, assuming its wood or glass. Basically any material/surface that isn't holding a static charge should be fine.

moocow

The PSU is resting on the bin lid while the motherboard is on a box on top of another bin. It turns on fine at the moment but need to figure out why it won't detect the SSD.

Chilly

Cardboard = static...

I mean its probbly fine, and I have done the "turn the box into a test surface" many a time, but the idea of static still terrifies me.

Lysrin

When I had to RMA an ASUS motherboard their tech support suggested using the original box as the platform to test on. Worked fine. Static is always a concern of course, but I think as JD mentioned you'd have more static risk from plastic.

Any access to one of those anti-static desk pads? I don't have one, but if you did then I would think right on the desk on that would be pretty protected. There are options on Amazon.ca but they are a little pricey.

Personally I would consider the box or right on the desk sufficiently low risk and go that route.

Last edited:

moocow

I think I'll invest in an anti-static mat later down the road. I don't see a need for a $200 test bench since I don't do enough testing to warrant one. Thanks for the suggestion.

Izerous

I have a motherboard tray from a corsair case that I victimized that I intended to turn into a test bench but I really don't have the time. If your in the edmonton area you could have that if your that paranoid.

Latest posts

Twitter