What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Case fan sometimes stops spinning after boot

sswilson

Staff member
Ok, that explains the "loud" when you select "PWM". 3 Pin fans run @ 100% when PWM is selected. I'm not sure what your options are for the individual headers, but they should be set to Voltage controlled if you have the option.

FranG

Ok, that explains the "loud" when you select "PWM". 3 Pin fans run @ 100% when PWM is selected. I'm not sure what your options are for the individual headers, but they should be set to Voltage controlled if you have the option.
ill have a look in a bit but im pretty sure the voltage modes i have are PWM, DC and Auto. the fans are currently set to auto

sswilson

Staff member
DC then. That will eliminate any issues the board might be having with determining what kind of fans they are.

FranG

DC then. That will eliminate any issues the board might be having with determining what kind of fans they are.
turns out the other mode was voltage and switching it to that did not fix the problem. also turns out i can start the fan manually by spinning it. pretty bizarre lol

GregoireA

Set the fans to 12V. If you can get them spinning and they stay spinning then work your way down in voltages to the point where they are quiet enough for you, or stop spinning.
If they don't stay spinning then they are probably cooked.

Izerous

Folding Team
The fact that manually spinning them works suggests that the motors/bearings are potentially dieing.

Fans can get stuck on a dead spot and bumping them with your finger gets them past that but still shows there is an issue

FranG

Set the fans to 12V. If you can get them spinning and they stay spinning then work your way down in voltages to the point where they are quiet enough for you, or stop spinning.
If they don't stay spinning then they are probably cooked.
not sure how to do that in the bios but ill give it a try. fans shouldn't be cooked cause they are like 2 weeks old

djbrad

I think they clearly don't get enough juice to start with the system or from sleep. As it is just a splitter, and you cannot plug the fans to the motherboard (not long enough cables), I would buy a cheap fan controller for them.