What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Case Mod Case Mod Project: "Tribute to SERENITY firefly series" Mad Reader Mod pays $1500!

Mnpctech

.... still work in progress. I'm learning new tricks as I move along as well. I will fine tune the weathered and distressed effects, so they're not a stark contrast to everything else atm. It's a process of creating first, then breaking it down. I'm focusing on 1 element, let that process cure, then go back to earlier stages...like the Switch holes for example, I'm still working on making them look worn and smooth, not scratched up. I'll post progress photo of those next. :)

I added just a dab to the fan controller box on the right panel...

corsair_400_window_panel_pc_case_mod_serenity_exterior_rust3.jpg

corsair_400_window_panel_pc_case_mod_serenity_exterior_rust6.jpg

corsair_400_window_panel_pc_case_mod_serenity_exterior_rust8.jpg

Mnpctech

Thanks for watching and commenting! Next step is fine tuning the weathered and distressed effects with an Airbrush

corsair_400_window_panel_pc_case_mod_serenity_exterior_rust8.jpg

Mnpctech

Last night I went over my initial weathered and distressed paint effects with an Airbrush. Anything that contrasted a lot, I muted with Matte Black, like the fan blades, copper tubing, decals, shiny toggle switches on the fan controller and screw heads. I also airbrushed the edges of Silver Aluminum paint, which I used to created the chipped and scratched paint beneath.

corsair_400_pc_case_mod_window_firefly_lo_res_paint5.jpg

corsair_400_pc_case_mod_window_firefly_lo_res_paint3.jpg

corsair_400_pc_case_mod_window_firefly_lo_res_paint2.jpg

corsair_400_pc_case_mod_window_firefly_lo_res_paint1.jpg

corsair_400_pc_case_mod_window_firefly_lo_res_paint4.jpg

Mnpctech

In the firefly verse, "Shiny" is slang for "cool" "great", "neat", "wonderful", etc.

Nathan Fillion

firefly_shiny_nathan_fillion_t_shirt.jpg

"SHINY" plate design for 5.25 Optical bay cover will be milled from 3/16" thick Copper, and lit from behind

corsair_400_window_panel_pc_case_mod_serenity_shiny_plate1.jpg

corsair_400_window_panel_pc_case_mod_serenity_shiny_plate2.jpg

Mnpctech

Going over areas of the right side panel with airbrush, using Flat Black, over saturated with Thinner.. to weather or "mute" some of coloring in the decals, wiring, and smaller copper tubing

corsair_400_pc_case_mod_window_firefly_lo_res_paint7.jpg

corsair_400_pc_case_mod_window_firefly_lo_res_paint8.jpg

corsair_400_pc_case_mod_window_firefly_lo_res_paint9.jpg

corsair_400_pc_case_mod_window_firefly_lo_res_paint9a.jpg

Birk

I didn't have a lot of time today to experiment with my tube bending idea. Here are the 120mm Aerocool fans I painted last night with Rustoleum's Metallic Copper, #1937830. The multi fan blade design fits the antique copper. This paint looks surprisingly realistic, and doesn't smudge like the fake Chrome effect paint. I'm going to airbrush the edges of fan frame and blade hub, to give it aged look, hopefully Thursday night.

corsair_400_window_panel_pc_case_mod_serenity9y4.jpg

When painting the fans did you need to take them apart or protect the open side of the hub? I was thinking of doing this but didn't know how well the hub would take it.