What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Case Pics

sswilson

Staff member
Where are you touching that's getting so hot? The higher heatsink?

I'll check mine out after you verify.

BTW.... Looks like a nice build. That looks like quite the cooler they've got on the ASUS 1950pros.

dosmond

Yup the big high heatsink, over clocked or not, still hot

Where are you touching that's getting so hot? The higher heatsink?

I'll check mine out after you verify.

BTW.... Looks like a nice build. That looks like quite the cooler they've got on the ASUS 1950pros.

----------------------------------------
Yeah the one thats so hot is the Big Gigabyte gold heatsink between the cpu and the Radeon... as for the cooler on the radeon it is kinda nice I't good enough that I'm not going to reuse the Zalman heatsink I had on my x800gto on the x1950pro....

That chipset is definately the hottest thing in my pc by far, the e6600 is very cool, I was very impressed by that but then again I did go from an athlon xp 3200+ to the e6600 and the xp's were hot chips...

One more note... here's some benchies, I've gotten the e6600 up to 3.2Ghz without over volting anything and on the stock cooler.

3dmark2001se 42692 3dmarks
3dmark2005 10802 3dmarks
3dmark2006 5361 3dmarks

J

JayDee

Hey Patriote I like the look of the chrome Blade fan grills you have = what brand are they? I like them because they seem to have an aluminum mesh dust filter built on which I haven't seen before.

Love that case BTW :thumb:

Il Duce

Well my new pc is now put together, Here's the specs...
Antec Sonata III Case w/ 500W Earthwatts PSU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Dual Core
[FONT=&quot]Gigabyte GA-965P-S3[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Seagate Barracuda ST3320620AS 320Gb - 7200rpm SATA II[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ASUS Radeon X1950 Pro[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Patriot Signature Line 2GB PC2-6400 Dual Channel[/FONT]

Of course I am reusing my Samsung 940bw 19@ widescreen LCD, my mouse, keyboard and a liteon SOHW-1693S 16x dvd burner....

One thing I have to say my cpu temps are way lower then I expected, maybe 43 degree's celcius running 3dmark 2006, and thats with only the one stock antec 120mm fan, and stock cooler, the only thing I can say that really gets hot is the intel chipset... I can't keep my finger on it, is that normal for a 965 chipset?

love your case it's nice and simple. I'm not a big fan of graphic art/led lights... Just creates too much attention. Besides I like to have everything black :D.

Lithotech

Pics of a recent build for a friend, unfortunately I can't keep it. :angry2:

My own system is due for a clean and replace one dying fan, I'll get some fresh pics of it then.

Specs:
Gigabyte 3D Aurora case
Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4 mobo
E6600 Conroe 2.4ghz w/ Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
2 x 1GB Patriot Extreme 8500ELK 3-3-3-9 @1066 & 2.1V
eVGA 8800GTS 640mb
2 x 80GB Hitachi 7k160 Sata2 8mb Raid-0 Boot
LG DVDRW
OCZ GameXStream 600

She runs rock solid at 3.2ghz. No time to experiment farther, and it took a lot of vcore to get her there already. I think it will be limited by heat and the Freezer Pro, because it peaks around 60c at load when the side panel has the window on it. It runs several degrees cooler with the vent panel on instead of the window, but that is a dust trap and it seems the exhaust fans just suck fresh air right out of the side rather than help circulate and expel hot air inside the case. I tell ya, this case is a monster to tame for temperatures. Otherwise, it is very nice, a dream to work in/with.

Currently dual booting Vista and XP Pro, she gets a 5.7 on Vista's Experience score. All 5.9's except the cpu believe it or not, and that's when it's at 3.2ghz. I suppose it has to go up against quads.

Peekchures:

41syu4.jpg

42scq9.jpg

43sji8.jpg

45syr7.jpg

46srr9.jpg

48scn5.jpg

50sgs3.jpg

51sfq0.jpg

52slh2.jpg

53stt9.jpg

55sfr7.jpg

sswilson

Staff member
Great looking build!

Those are some monster latencies you're getting with the patriot memory.

mgp141

man, that looks nice, i think those photos just set it straight, and i want one of those cases. what is that vent in the 5 1/4 in drive bays ? does that come with the case or no. hoping it comes on sale at NCIX soon :sad:

Lithotech

I'll post some finished pics with the window on the side panel next! :clap:

Great looking build!

Those are some monster latencies you're getting with the patriot memory.

Tyty!

It is very nice ram indeed! While I love to apply volts (a throwback to my BH-5 days), I like even more when I can get beyond rated speeds with less than rated voltages. The ram is rated at 2.3V, and runs fine with only 2.1V at 1080mhz and 5-5-5-9. Something that this CPU certainly cannot do, it wants volts almost from the getgo!

They will also run 3-3-3-8 or 3-3-3-9 at DDR2-800 with 2.3V, but not much farther... I think I got them to about 860mhz before they start pooping out in memtest.

This particular kit hasn't been dropping in price like the others, either. I think the Mushkin 8500's or the Buffalo Firestix 8500's are a much better deal at the moment (ncix.com).

man, that looks nice, i think those photos just set it straight, and i want one of those cases. what is that vent in the 5 1/4 in drive bays ? does that come with the case or no. hoping it comes on sale at NCIX soon :sad:

The vent is a Scythe Kama Bay, and NCIX stocks them but last time I checked there weren't any in stock, this one was one of the last ones a few weeks ago.

They never go on sale, but you can get a fairly good pricematch from Direct Canada.

I simply love them, and used them a few times when simply bolting or strapping a fan in the bay's will not do. They add a very nice manufactured finish to the case, something that is fairly difficult or time consuming to fabricate. Whenever I run into a situation where the intake is obstructed, I look to see if I can fit one of these in the budget.

There is a couple things about them you should be aware of:
  • They have short mounting brackets, and don't hold tight in most drive bays that are screwless. With this Aurora, they are loose on the right side, but on the left side I could catch one screw hole per bracket (through a single hole in the screwless lock). It is not loose this way, but doesn't sit flush. The workaround is to wedge some cardboard inbetween the brackets and drive bay on the right side, keeping the whole thing flush and fairly tight. I ran into the same problem and fix with a Silverstone TJ04. In both cases, you cannot use the plastic drive rails with the kama bay, instead just slide it in, and use screws whereever you can, and wedge it to make it sit flush.
  • It comes with an absolutely silent 800rpm fan, and is also filtered. Obviously, it doesn't move a huge amount of air, but any air is usually better than no air. In fact, I have found it can also work great without any fan at all, if you have enough exhaust and case circulation. However, if you put in a more powerful fan, you will most likely have to remove the filter. The way the filter is held in place can let the fan actually suck parts of it into the blades causing an annoying noise. I tried an 1800rpm Zalman ZM-F3, and it was powerful enough to cause the problem. Removing the filter is a simple fix, but I hate dust more than noise or heat so that wasn't an option in this build. Glueing the filter down would also work, but if the glue ever let go...
If you are serious about getting an Aurora, you should read Skymtl's review here (or ncix) on them. It is very comprehensive. We went into this build knowing all the challenges we would face, and had ideas and solutions to try already in place and parts ordered and picked up with the rest so no delays. This would NOT have been possible without his review, I simply cannot praise him enough... here's a link:

http://forum.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=1315772

You can save a few bucks by pricematching it from directcanada.com:

Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 Black Aluminum ATX Tower Case 5X5.25 2X3.5 5X3.5INT No PS W/ Window - DirectCanada

Careful of your PSU selection, it is a bit of a stretch to reach some things because of a 4" gap between the top of the mobo and the bottom of the PSU. Make sure you have long lines if you want clean cabling. OCZ's GameXStream fit... just. My own PC is in a P180, so this is easy by comparrison lol!

These Gigabyte cases have one major flaw in that the front intake fan is restricted by a fairly fine-knit filter, the front bezel, and the hard drive bay. Also, the stock fan they supply is completely gutless. I put a 80+ cfm fan in there and you can still barely feel any air passing over the hard drives.

So the fix was to add the Kama Bay, swap out all the gutless Gigabyte fans, and bolt on another fan to the other side of the hard drive bays (using one of the Giga fans for this atm, great light and doesn't trap as much hot air below the vid card).

With the side panel window on instead of the grill, it still isn't perfect, and more experimentation etc is required to really dial it in. There are plenty of options as to mounting more fans, adjusting fan speeds, etc, and this build is still patiently a work in progress (gotta leave some stuff for the owner to play with lol).

With the grill on the side panel it is nearly perfect except that it lets in dust, lets out noise, and ruins the complete case circulation because the dual 120mm exhaust no longer draws from inside the case, and rather, just sucks air from outside the case right through the grill, and right out the case again. Even so, the temps are all great except for a pocket of hot air below the vid card. The lower outside of the case itself gets quite warm and the exhaust air is completely cool. When the window is in use, the case is completely cool, and the exhaust air is warm, yet feeling the air under the vid card inside the case, is still quite warm. I have a PCI exhaust fan on back order to try and deal with that.

One final thing to note; I mounted the Freezer Pro pointing down to the NB heatsink for a couple of reasons.
  • This motherboard is a fairly recent release, and finding much info on it is difficult. What you can find out is that NB heatsink gets hot. While it looks good on paper, with plenty of surface area via many fins, it is solid copper and does not convect the heat away into passing air very well. Also, it's angled mounting makes passing air go over it rather than through it, IMHO exasperating the situation. Let me tell you, this sucker gets really hot! Under load and overclocked, it will burn the back of your fingers if you touch it for more than an instant, and that is with the Freezer dumping air on it. Simply put, you must add active cooling to this thing somehow.
  • Since there is no info on this board, I was unaware that the Freezer would fit when orientated towards the exhaust. It makes just a little too much contact with the NB heatsink. An easy fix is to dremel out small notches on a few of the Freezer fins to allow clearance. However, I decided to try it mounted down first, since I could potentially kill two birds with one stone this way. After seeing how hot it got even with the Freezer blowing on it, I decided not to try it pointed to the exhaust, as it would mean I would have to rig up some sort of other active cooling for the NB heatsink.
It's a bit of a Catch 22. We don't want any visible ugliness, so any active NB cooling we may use would have to be professional looking or completely invisible from the side panel window.

I feel that the entire case cooling and airflow circulation would be vastly improved if that Freezer were pointed to the exhaust, because as it is now it causes a lot of turbulance. It is evident when the window is on because the dual 120mm exhausts push out a lot less air than they do with the side panel open. The S775 Freezer is a fairly high CFM fan, and would help a lot if pointed to the two rear fans instead of down, this I am sure.

This situation is still very much a work in progress, and we may move to a different HSF alltogether. However, we will try the dremel first because there is a slight chance that the better case circulation will do a decent job of cooling the NB without having to add active cooling for it. There is only one way to find out, and one weekend my buddy and I will try it.

Lithotech

Here's a shot of the backside, not really much of a mess at all, I expected worse to be honest.

backsidetm0.jpg

Here's a shot dry fitting the Freezer. If you look closely, you can see the Freezer is tilted to the right, away from the NB, and that is why it looks like they aren't touching. It is just resting there with no cpu below it, dry fitting.

I really think Gigabyte dropped the ball here, ther Freezer is an extremely popular HSF for s775, it's price per performance is second to none. They really should have tested this, I cannot fathom how they could not.

freezerfitwt9.jpg

The rest are recent pics of the system with the window in the side panel.

Personally, I prefer this look to the vented panel, or grill. In addition to forcing intake air through the filters and reducing dust to almost nil, it affords a better view of the guts.

I'd be very interested in other opinions however! Although the owner ultimately gets the final decision, I feel he would also appreciate general opinions as to which looks best, and to hell with dust. :haha:

1finiwjs3.jpg

2finiwms6.jpg

3finiwfj3.jpg

4finiwiv1.jpg

5finiwrm9.jpg

6finiwrw7.jpg

7finiwtl2.jpg

8finiwgh0.jpg

9finiwkv2.jpg

10finiwma7.jpg

Latest posts