What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Case Pics

lowfat

Staff member
my media server
IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1957-1.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

Tried to keep the interior some what clean. However having 13 SATA cables things do get a tad messy.

Lithotech

:shok: holy harddrives!

Let me rephrase that: :shok: holy harddrives Batman!

Got a few questions, this looks really interesting.

What carts are those? They look like they hold 4 HDs each, are they hotswap?

That raid card is a monster, with a monster price. Wondering where you got it, and what sort of price break you may have got?

Are the drives in a raid? If so, what type of array?

Do you have some benchmarks you can show of them?

What power supply are you using? That's a lot of power connections, not many PSUs have that many sata power.

What OS are you running for this? WHS by any chance? If so, wondering how the raid card works with it.

lowfat

Staff member
Let me rephrase that: :shok: holy harddrives Batman!

Got a few questions, this looks really interesting.

What carts are those? They look like they hold 4 HDs each, are they hotswap?

That raid card is a monster, with a monster price. Wondering where you got it, and what sort of price break you may have got?

Are the drives in a raid? If so, what type of array?

Do you have some benchmarks you can show of them?

What power supply are you using? That's a lot of power connections, not many PSUs have that many sata power.

What OS are you running for this? WHS by any chance? If so, wondering how the raid card works with it.

They are Kingwin KF-4000-BK. Hotswap really depends on the controller/chipset. But I have used them with hotswap before.

The Array is still initializing so it is doing very poorly right now in terms of performance. I'll bench it tonight.

The PSU is just a lil' Seasonic M12II 430W. It only has 6 sata connections, but I bought a bunch of these

S-ATA power connector cable T-SATA 3x Splitter - Sleeved Products Model: SATA-PW3 [SATA-PW3] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

I bought card off Ebay. It is considered EOL, so retailers don't stock it anymore. After exchange, duty, and shipping it was ~ $600. But that is still a lot cheaper than a current generation 16 channel card. Like half the price.

I am just using Windows Vista, works well enough.

Chilly

That's one NICE file server. I'm curious, out of the 6TB how much is used? As in how many GB/TB is music, movies, tv shows, pictures, etc?

My personal collection only adds up to ~600GB in Movies, ~50GB in TV Shows, ~60GB in Music, and ~15GB in Images/Pictures. In other words I don't have much archived, just most of the DVD's(which aren't big, 3-7GB each, DVD shrink ftw) I own.

Personally I'm looking forward to owning a Blu-Ray Drive, that's when my Archive will REALLY start to balloon.

Latest posts