What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Cat 9.1 Enables 4870X2 Folding on both cores

LCB001

I'll let you know how the ppd looks like. I've heard - read the same thing. And since I'll be building this one from scratch, I'll install a native Linux distro first, probably Ubuntu.
Please do let me know. I'm not looking forward to learning another new OS, but if it's worth it, I guess I can learn enough for Folding. As if the jump from 98SE to Vista wasn't enough...

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
ROFL

I don't know much about Linux, but I do have crib sheets from pscout (a folder too) on how to fold with Linux. There are a few threads here too about it.

Oh, and that 9800GT just became a GTX260...

LCB001

ROFL

I don't know much about Linux, but I do have crib sheets from pscout (a folder too) on how to fold with Linux. There are a few threads here too about it.

Oh, and that 9800GT just became a GTX260...
Is that a third one or one of the two you already had, I guess you really got tired of the penny-ante stuff...:haha:

I've read some of pscouts' posts, lots of good info there. Well, time to get back to them I guess...

3.0charlie

Nope, same 260 #2. Buyer backed out, and I'm quite happy to keep it. Though selling it would have funded some of the 9800GX2 bought this evening...

Peter (pscout) really knew what he was talking about in regards to folding, Linux folding especially. Hi highest ranking was #16, you know... his other folding name was pete_scout...

LCB001

Nope, same 260 #2. Buyer backed out, and I'm quite happy to keep it. Though selling it would have funded some of the 9800GX2 bought this evening...

Peter (pscout) really knew what he was talking about in regards to folding, Linux folding especially. Hi highest ranking was #16, you know... his other folding name was pete_scout...
I've seen his name on the charts, until recently he was still listed in the top 100 folders, if it wasn't for the new gpu farms he'd still be top 50 easy.

So I guess the 9800gt goes back in the htpc, you're going to have a nice little farm going again. Just for fun I'll guesstimate ~23,000 PPD for that rig if it's with a quad...

chrisk

Folding Captain
Well 3.0 looks like you could not let LCB001 get too close ;) Those points will come in handy....we have been going up the ranks lately so those extra points will be nice!

@LCB001: if you want to mess with Ubuntu this little utility is awesome: Wubi - Ubuntu Installer for Windows Its an Ubuntu installer run from Windows, that creates a linux virtual disk right in an NTFS, and adds Ubuntu as a startup option. As you install, you choose the size of the virtual file system, and Wubi automatically downloads the latest Ubuntu distro. I used it to install Ubuntu on my laptop and took just a couple of minutes, without doing anything with my partitions and such. I have given this to a few linux noobs (like me lol) and they all used it flawlessly, and I recommend it for anyone starting out.

I know that no matter which team you fold for, the cure is what counts...but it's nice to get our little community some good exposure in the meantime!

3.0charlie

I don't know yet about the 9800, just too much heat inside that HTPC... we'll see later. One step at a time.

LCB001

Well 3.0 looks like you could not let LCB001 get too close ;) Those points will come in handy....we have been going up the ranks lately so those extra points will be nice!

@LCB001: if you want to mess with Ubuntu this little utility is awesome: Wubi - Ubuntu Installer for Windows Its an Ubuntu installer run from Windows, that creates a linux virtual disk right in an NTFS, and adds Ubuntu as a startup option. As you install, you choose the size of the virtual file system, and Wubi automatically downloads the latest Ubuntu distro. I used it to install Ubuntu on my laptop and took just a couple of minutes, without doing anything with my partitions and such. I have given this to a few linux noobs (like me lol) and they all used it flawlessly, and I recommend it for anyone starting out.

I know that no matter which team you fold for, the cure is what counts...but it's nice to get our little community some good exposure in the meantime!
Thanks for the link, I might try that. Unfortunately, while I'm the curious type I'm also a slow adopter. Part of me is a firm believer in the old adage 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it', of course the other part of me wants to jump before I look...:haha:

Of course it would all be for Folding so mmmm...

chrisk

Folding Captain
Thanks for the link, I might try that. Unfortunately, while I'm the curious type I'm also a slow adopter. Part of me is a firm believer in the old adage 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it', of course the other part of me wants to jump before I look...:haha:

Of course it would all be for Folding so mmmm...

Lol my line is "Its been too quiet lately"...Great thing about that installer is that you can have both so all you really need is some HDD space (well, I guess backups don't hurt prior I 'spose).

LCB001

Lol my line is "Its been too quiet lately"...Great thing about that installer is that you can have both so all you really need is some HDD space (well, I guess backups don't hurt prior I 'spose).
That's the part of me that eventually gives my cautious side a good slap upside the head and tells it to stop procrastinating.
And thanks for reminding me I got to remember to do back-ups...:haha:

Latest posts