What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Cat5e wiring thingies

Prickly007

I found these last night, but keystones, the boxes JD link and some patch cables hopefully will sort of the issue.

Whoever did the ethernet wiring on the house made some odd decisions, which from what I have been reading is not uncommon.

Prickly007

Keystones and punch down tool arrived today... so MUCH easier than the RJ45 plugs. But the end result is still only ~90 mpbs. :mad:However, I was using a Roku to test the connection (speed) in two of the three cables I terminated today. Based on Google, Rokus likely only have a 100 mbps ethernet port. D'oh!

I'll have to carry my desktop downstairs this weekend and retest; I tried using my Macbook, but it's just too old.

The third cable I terminated was the one from the room inwhich my desktop is currently located, so either I am still doing something wrong or there's another issue causing the speeed to max out at ~90 mpbs.

JD

Staff member
May just be that the cables themselves are bad... if you give them a tug, do they move? If they aren't stapled down inside the walls, you may want to consider pulling through new CAT6 cable instead.

Prickly007

if you give them a tug, do they move?
Where, the internet panel or behind the jack in the wall? The former does, never tried the latter.

Odds are the issue will be added to a list of things for the next time we talk to the builder; who sent a plumber over today to correct an issue that was missed in the five day inspection. I am pretty sure pulling new cable (to the second floor) is way beyond my abilities. :ROFLMAO:

KaptCrunch

I am pretty sure pulling new cable (to the second floor) is way beyond my abilities. :ROFLMAO:
Best way use the plumbing vent stack cavity to run net cables, ask plumber if can do, will have a run of basement to attic. Look up plumbing vent stack code.
If own home not condo apartments

JD

Staff member
Where, the internet panel or behind the jack in the wall? The former does, never tried the latter.

Odds are the issue will be added to a list of things for the next time we talk to the builder; who sent a plumber over today to correct an issue that was missed in the five day inspection. I am pretty sure pulling new cable (to the second floor) is way beyond my abilities. :ROFLMAO:
Well if it's not stapled/pinned to the studs anywhere inside the walls, then you should just be able to tie/tape on a new cable to 1 end and then pull it through.

Didn't realize this was a new build though, if it is covered under warranty, then you might as well pursue that too. They might say 100Mbps is enough though.

Prickly007

Thanks KaptCrunch & JD, I've made a note of your suggestions; maybe I'll sound like I know what I am talking about. :eek:

They might say 100Mbps is enough though.
Then I'll be protesting, during open houses, at their other house on the street once its built. :devilish: Our buying agent actually suggested this as a tactic (of last resort) as the builder and his wife are fairly young, so they're quite concerned about their reputation.

I am (more or less) okay with 100 Mbps in the Great Room and Master Bedroom, but NOT my man cave/Plex server.

KaptCrunch

Oh the fine print clause, look at your build sheet, how was written for network.. vaguely written or states version class of network. Give builder a chance first then air your beef if not listening to your concerns. take that road if your in the right by contract wording

Prickly007

We don't have a build sheet, as far as I know. The builder built the house, many, many months later, we bought it.

I lugged my ATCS 840 downstairs (that always fun), along with a small monitor, mouse & KB, to retest the cables in the Great Room and Master Bedroom... full speed. Next, I terminated, for the first time, the last remaining cable on the ground floor, which was also full speed.

(I'll say it again, keystones are SO much easier!!!)

Feeling lucky, I redid the cable for my man cave, one more time.... still under a 100 Mpbs. :mad: Every ethernet port in the house is full speed, except the room where my PC (and Xbox) is. :rolleyes:

KaptCrunch

Have checked the speed setting in hardware configure in windows of NIC. Or use a add in NIC to computer other check firmware of NIC.

Twitter