What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Cat5e wiring thingies

Entz

Maybe I missed it but have you run an actual pair tester across that line? Being stuck at 100 could mean a pair is damaged. Which sucks, but having concrete proof helps cut through the BS and then see if they can fix it.

I have seen people put staples right through the jacket :(

Prickly007

Have checked the speed setting in hardware configure in windows of NIC.
No, as I don't think that is the issue:
Cable from room 4 plugged into desktop is 300+ Mbps
Cable from room 5 plugged into desktop is ~80 Mbps

Only variable is the cable, I would think.

Maybe I missed it but have you run an actual pair tester across that line? Being stuck at 100 could mean a pair is damaged.
The cheap tester that came with the crimping tool shows a difference, but I don't know how to interpret the data. The cables that are 300+ Mbps show the lights lighting up 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 on both ends. The 80 Mpbs cable lights up 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 at the internet panel, but upstairs it looks like this. :confused::confused::confused:

Prickly007

Thanks Izerous. The builder's wife, who does all the paper work and ????, suggested I had one of the terminations crossed. I'll let them know tomorrow that is not the case, lines 2&5 are likely damaged.

Last edited:

Izerous

If lines were simply crossed at the terminaltion then it would have lit up out of order, ie if 2&5 were crossed over it would have lit up as 1,5,3,4,2,6,7,8. But when I watched the video it looked like 2 & 5 were not lighting up at all, if they were it was quite dim. Both suggesting that there is a problem on 2&5. It honestly could still be a termination fault though, ie 2 & 5 not making good contact in the plug on either end.

Prickly007

I'll be a little circumspect in my language, but a termination fault at the internet panel seems unlikely as I've terminated the cable several times, using keystones & jacks.

I am not touching the keystone in the wall as I don't know if there is any slack cable or not. 80 Mbps is better than zero.

Prickly007

Builder was here today and tested the cable with an expensive-looking Fluke device, multimeter???? Cable is apparently fine, hopefully it is just the keystone in the wall... will find out tomorrow when he returns; the parts were in the other truck. And I did not have any spares.

KaptCrunch

Great
( installer was cheap not using a flashlight in basement.)
The weakest link fixed

Twitter