What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Catalyst 8.3 is out

sswilson

Staff member
Ummmmmmmm

Is this a new release of the 8.3s?????

They've been out for over a week, and folks don't sound happy with them. :)

Cptn Vortex

Wha? really? I was under the impression 8.2 just came out...... I guess I was mis informed by a manufacturer then, that, or they're email system is out of whack!

vinister

if you haven't noticed ATI has been naming their drivers by their release date for years. Catalyst 8.3 = 2008/March. They usually come out in the first week of the month they are dated for. 8.4 will be out in 2 weeks, hopefully they are hard at work fixing all these problems, and for god's sake, a bit of benchmark optimization wouldn't be a bad idea either lol.

Just to update you however, yes they came out, yes they suck supremely. It was one of those driver launches where there are a hundred posts on every forum the next day 'catalyst 8.3 ruined my computer'. Once everyone realized you have to run a driver cleaner to install them properly, things improved abit. It's only a worthwhile upgrade for crossfire users running Vista. ATI is using very different methods in Vista and XP, expect XP support to dwindle as they focus on the new Vista-style driver. Most benches on Most OS's went down, cpu useage while rendering 3d has gone way up for Vista 64 users. Actual gaming performance has increased in most popular titles.

One of the biggest updates is AA support in Unreal games. There is a short list of games supported, but for the rest, renaming the exe to oblivion makes them compatible as well.

People are getting shit 3dmark scores because 3dmark defaults to such a low resolution. In crossfire rigs you can run the test at maximum resolution and not loose a single point, whereas a single-card system will loose much more performance.

Latest posts