What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

CD Projekt RED’s Witcher 2 Follow-Up Revealed: Cyberpunk 2077

FreeKnight

So how is this game doing now? Bugs wise, playablility, etc.? I'm still debating it but with the coupon and sale on Epic right now you can get it for just under $50 CAD.

Is it worth that at this point or better to wait for deeper discount?
For me on a 4790k w/ 2080ti the game wasn't even that buggy at release. There were a few, but nothing game breaking and only 1 CTD that I can remember.
By most accounts the PC version is pretty much fixed though some inevitable 'open world' hiccups are going to occur.

If you've got nothing else to play is it worth it at under $50? Maybe. It's a good enough game and had there been less hype or if it had been released by a developer whose last game wasn't 'The Witcher 3' it wouldn't have gotten as much flak as it did, at least for the PC version. The PS4/Xbox One versions are getting rightly scathed IMO.

If you like open world FPS I'd say it's worth it. It's got more personality than your average Far Cry, with less tower climbing but also doesn't have the fun 'side stuff' to do like hunts, hang gliding, etc.

If you're looking for a more RPG experience, then it's a bit mixed. The story's decent, albeit short. Most of the characters are good enough, but most people aren't going to get drawn into the characters as much as with the crew of the Normandy in Mass Effect, or the various characters in the Witcher.

You can easily sink 30-40 hours into the game if you're a completionist, and there's some neat aspects playing hacker vs samurai vs run'n'gun, but it has it's flaws.

In a situation where I'd have to give the game a score I'd say 7.5-8.5 / 10 for people with a rig that's half decent. It's not an amazing game, but it's certainly a good game.

ipaine

I concur with FreeKnight. I had almost no bugs and played good on my 3900x w/ 3080.

I enjoyed my time playing and I will go back and play again at some point once some expansions are out.

lowfat

Staff member
Personally thought the game was awesome. IHMO I think the characters are far better than most games. I thought that almost all of the major side quests were fantastic. I had a few day stretch where it was crashing all the time. But otherwise I had very little issues w/ bugs. But it did need some series QoL improvements and balancing.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Did not enjoy.

Which is really tough for me to say because I really really wanted to like this game.

JMO tho

Lysrin

Thanks for the follow up opinions. I definitely don't need it right now given the hours of Mass Effect, SC events, and a tonne of other games in my libraries. I just haven't found a game since that recent run through of Titanfall2 that really grabbed me.

I shall ponder further :)

Did not enjoy.

Which is really tough for me to say because I really really wanted to like this game.

JMO tho

And it's good to hear that too. The loved it and didn't love it reviews. I hate it when a game I've been really looking forward to doesn't deliver to my expectations. But good to know it wasn't a hit with everyone.

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
Yeah it was "okay" for me. I did play all the endings I could with the decisions/romance options I had chosen. I think most of them are the same, just different people involved, I believe the only one I really missed was the "hidden" ending where you have to make certain decisions throughout the game.

If we're comparing it to Far Cry though, since FreeKnight mentioned it, I enjoy Far Cry a lot more. More fantastical I guess? May also be why people enjoy The Witcher more too. These sorts of games should be an "escape", not foretelling the future 🤣

FreeKnight

Yeah it was "okay" for me. I did play all the endings I could with the decisions/romance options I had chosen. I think most of them are the same, just different people involved, I believe the only one I really missed was the "hidden" ending where you have to make certain decisions throughout the game.

If we're comparing it to Far Cry though, since FreeKnight mentioned it, I enjoy Far Cry a lot more. More fantastical I guess? May also be why people enjoy The Witcher more too. These sorts of games should be an "escape", not foretelling the future 🤣
Far Cry felt more 'pick up and play' and you have more kooky things to do like send a rampaging tiger into an enemy base. 2077 is basically 'go to area, kill everyone, rinse, repeat'. While it's a bigger world and it's busier it feels like there's less to do IMO and there isn't any real 'fun to do' non-mission activities.

If CDPR does another Cyberpunk game like they were originally planning to I hope that 2077 ends up being like the Witcher 1 in it's history, a flawed product that has its charms but with a sequel that vastly improves on it in every way. I honestly feel like they could have take some pages from GTA V and added some other things to do, fun disturbances, etc.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Far Cry felt more 'pick up and play' and you have more kooky things to do like send a rampaging tiger into an enemy base. 2077 is basically 'go to area, kill everyone, rinse, repeat'. While it's a bigger world and it's busier it feels like there's less to do IMO and there isn't any real 'fun to do' non-mission activities.

If CDPR does another Cyberpunk game like they were originally planning to I hope that 2077 ends up being like the Witcher 1 in it's history, a flawed product that has its charms but with a sequel that vastly improves on it in every way. I honestly feel like they could have take some pages from GTA V and added some other things to do, fun disturbances, etc.
Good god you nailed my thoughts exactly with this post.

JD

Staff member
While it's a bigger world and it's busier it feels like there's less to do IMO and there isn't any real 'fun to do' non-mission activities.
Busier but at the same time lifeless? Only fun quest was the Delamain ones, the rest were pretty mundane.

I know the "climb tower" aspect of Far Cry is pretty dumb and repetitive, but it gives a purpose to go explore the map. Considering how large Cyber Punk is, there didn't seem to be any incentive to explore it. Maybe the DLCs will make use of these other areas though that the main storyline did not.

Lysrin

I'm still only about 20 hrs in, and for the most part I am liking it. The language is over the top for my tastes (I knew it was going to be so that isn't a complaint), but I am finding the main story intriguing. I like the combat okay, and I do like the skill and perk system.

But I have to ask... am I ever going to get to locations in the game that aren't filled with over-sexed environments and fetishes? I don't think all Cyberpunk genre settings have as much sexual content as they put in this game do they? I'm not a huge partaker of the genre so I could be wrong on that. But I would certainly be happy to move on and have some conversations with NPCs where I am not surrounded by dildos! :LOL:

That is a serious question: do the settings for the missions and stories eventually get me out of that Night City setting or does that stay fundamental to the storytelling?

Latest posts