What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

CD Projekt RED’s Witcher 2 Follow-Up Revealed: Cyberpunk 2077

Lysrin

I suspect they just couldn't in CP2077. There's too many NPCs and too much detail and scenery. Adding lots of NPC actions, paths and behaviour would probably have broken the game even more at release.

The NPC density difference in Night City is so much higher than even the most dense sections of W3 I don't think you could have managed it even if they dropped X1 or PS4 support right off the bat.
Could be that issue, maybe console limitations, but not sure the main driver would have been technical limitations. There are lots of techniques to track what has to be active around a player position in games. They do it for graphics, audio, and AI routines. For example there is no point in having all that happen, and processing it, anywhere the player isn't. So that means the number interactions that have to play out and be calculated around a character for these types of things can remain fairly consistent. The rest of information is tracked in a much less processing intensive way and called on when needed.

Add to that ever improving algorithms for those things and ever more powerful platforms, again old consoles being a barrier, and it isn't an overwhelming task to do more of that in the game.

I would guess it had more to do with production timelines, budget, and what was deemed core gameplay than technical limitations, again, except for having to support old consoles as you guys have said.

FreeKnight

After about 2 years to when I started playing and just as instantly shelved it due to the plethora of bugs, I've finally decided to actually do 1 playthrough and started playing a couple of weeks back. That said, I just don't know what choices I did wrong so that my best equipment ended up being these things. 😰
I'm still surprised they never formally added a transmog feature to CP2077. Most of the outfits look like something a crossbred between a broken highlighter and the fever dreams of a twitch streamer.

I literally stuck with either my corpo suit or samurai outfit for the entire game. I wasn't willing to have those hideous outfits show up everytime I went to the menu haha.

ipaine

I was originally waiting for the DLC to drop before I jumped back in but then I ended up watching this music vid and just had to come back to this world.

Man I wish they would do more with this world. I mean while I am looking forward to Phantom Liberty, I really wish there was a DLC for the space station, cause that is what I really want to do. I just hope that they can deal with the hate that CP2077 and move on to make a sequel or more large DLC.

lowfat

Staff member
I agree. I really hope they continue using this IP. Still think the game has the best characters of any game. I do think they've overcome most of the bad plubisity. The game has sold incredibly well, at least on PC.

Tried the new path tracing mode last night with the 4080. 4K, medium, DLSS on performance with frame gen on. Get a whopping 60FPS during the benchmark :eek:. And TBH I can't really tell the difference. :eek:

Lysrin

I think there's a lot of potential in this setting too. I'd really like to see more interesting behaviours and interactions with NPCs (I know, I've said that before) so that Night City feels more alive, and I'd love for more of the buildings to have interiors where you could go in and find side quests, loot, etc. That is, there would be reason to go in and explore them, if you know what I mean. That latter one is a tall order as that gets pretty complicated, but I can still wish for it! ;)

And space station??!! I either missed that quest line or it's part of the main story that I haven't finished yet. Cool.

I also feel like there was a whole storyline about working on something for Jackie's mother after he was killed. I thought I saw something about that in YouTube videos, but I've never found it. I expect even though I've delayed the main story to do more gigs and side quests that there is a lot I still haven't seen. And with the patches that caused a respec I've kind of messed up my skillset, so my V hasn't felt right for a while lol

LaughingCrow

I think there's a lot of potential in this setting too. I'd really like to see more interesting behaviours and interactions with NPCs (I know, I've said that before) so that Night City feels more alive, and I'd love for more of the buildings to have interiors where you could go in and find side quests, loot, etc. That is, there would be reason to go in and explore them, if you know what I mean. That latter one is a tall order as that gets pretty complicated, but I can still wish for it! ;)
Yes, given the size & scope of the area, I was hoping there would have been more to explore & interact. It seems to me that the game was set up for more but they ran out of time & people to finish it. Some of the places are just false fronts but others appear to have been designed for more.

As it currently is, the game doesn't hold a lot of replay value for me.

lowfat

Staff member
Started playing the game since I couldn't find any other good single player games. Crazy how I still can't get anywhere near maxed settings w/ a 5800X3D + RTX4080. Even w/ the path tracing mod on performance it isn't playable for me. And even tho I'd have to use DLSS on performance, which IMO just looks bad.

But anyways I've got frame generation on, which actually seems to work good. I'm noticing no extra input latency, although I am using Reflex. But the thing is FG turns off vsync. And it tears badly. And I can't find a way to fix it.

EDIT: Seems that if you have a frame cap enabled, then frame gen doesn't actually work. I am able to get 100+ FPS now w/ path tracing enabled and still have DLSS set to quality.

EDIT2: Nevermind, somehow DLSS was set back to auto. On quality it would only get about 75ish FPS. So back to no path tracing.

Last edited:

Latest posts