What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Changing cooling config. NEED HELP PLZ!

Keltron 3030

I got one of my 4890's on the way back from XFX (It isn't broke thank god) with the other sitting here with an accellero S1 on it and some RAM and VRM Heatsinks on it. After doing some searching, I found that apparently its better if I use the RAM/VRM Plate from the stock heatsink as opposed to these heatsinks (refer to pic to see what i mean)
Tech8.jpg

Now one thing I wanna know involves the thermal pads on the 4890' stock heatsink. What should I do about them? should I remove them and put on some thermal paste, or keep them on? (see below)

Attachments

• 0413012034.jpg
    0413012034.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

Soultribunal

Staff member
I would think if the thermal pads are still in good shape you could still use them. They are a lot cleaner and easier to work with than paste in these situations.

That being said NCIX and such should still carry Thermal Tape by 3M , or something similar so if they are in bad shape cut and replace with new ones.

I know nothing about which cooler does better, one would think with the Accellero down drafting onto the card that it would be more efficent.

ST

ADay2Long

I'd keep the thermal pads as they have different thickness and sometimes the heatsink would not make direct contact if you were using only thermal paste.

Keltron 3030

I'd keep the thermal pads as they have different thickness and sometimes the heatsink would not make direct contact if you were using only thermal paste.

This was one of the things keeping me from taking off the tape.

I'll get to cleaning off the ram and vrm's as soon as i can get my hands on some acetone/isopropyl alcohol/something-to-clean-them-off-with

ImmaPC

You don't want to use acetone because acetone chemically reacts with certain substances, in some cases potentially even your PCB. Just don't. Now as for rubbing alcohol, 71% should work fine, but higher concentrations work better is all. Don't worry about the 29% water, it won't fry your parts. Make sure everything is clean and dry before you re-apply TIM or thermal pads or whatever, and when you have you card plugged in/turned on again, don;t worry about it at all.

Latest posts