What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Checking on power supply and PCI-E SSD

Lysrin

Not a full new build. I'm just hunting a couple components for my brother-in-law:

Time for him to go to an SSD, so I was thinking the WD Blue SN550 PCI-E 3.0 2TB. Gamer so space is preferred. It's on for $289.00 CAD a few places. He's still on a 4790K system but I have a PCI-E daughter card I am going to donate to the cause. I'd like to get him into an SSD that can go into a new system at some point. Is the SN550 still a good choice?

Power supply, are EVGA and Seasonic still good choices? The Seasonic FOCUS line, 80+ Gold, 750W, either full ($164.99 CAD) or semi ($134.99 CAD) modular seems a good option.

Thanks. Been a while since I have bought either of those types of components so thought I'd check first.

Last edited:

Bond007

Focus plus gold and Corsair rmx are my 2 normal recommendations now. There are others around that a quite good, but usually the price difference is small enough that I recommend going to one of those.

EVGA G2 are very good (pretty much gone now) and G3 close, but the rest of the gold EVGA power supplies aren’t as good IMO.

EDIT: If you are fine with 650watt, both of the ones I recommended are around $120 (fully modular) at a few places.

Lysrin

Thanks guys. @Bond007 he is running a Zotac Amp! Extreme 1070. Recommends a min 500W p/s. But he isn't overclocking anything beyond factory overclocks and no overclock on the 4790K so maybe 650W would be enough? I feel more comfortable with 750W just because that is what he has now so I know it worked... until it started having issues lol

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Seasonic are great PSU's, if money is tight you could go to a 650w. And I bought a SN550 Blue last week for my wife's machine, it's way faster than the old Kingston SSD that I had in there.

Bond007

I've never bought FD p/s before. I'll have a look.
They are fairly well reviewed and have a good warranty. The oem is sirfa (high power) which is more known for entry level to mid range models, though this is well built. Not saying anything against it, but I personally prefer a unit with more proven oem work...this could be great in the long run. I guess I am a bit biased towards more established ones.

In the end a personal call.

Soultribunal

Staff member
They are fairly well reviewed and have a good warranty. The oem is sirfa (high power) which is more known for entry level to mid range models, though this is well built. Not saying anything against it, but I personally prefer a unit with more proven oem work...this could be great in the long run. I guess I am a bit biased towards more established ones.

In the end a personal call.

Sirfa can be good, I think the biggest issue was inconsistancies within the same model range, or changes in main components halfway through a design cycle.

-ST

Latest posts