What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Chromecast and 5.1 audio output

danmitch1

Hi guys,
Ive been using my chromecast on stereo sound for a while but decided to try it on my AV receiver and see how it works with a surround system.
I have a pioneer vsx-1017txv receiver, it has passthrough hdmi support only so you still need to hook up the optical or digital coaxial to get the proper surround channels. Anyway long story short, i had to get an hdmi sound extractor https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07CG4S1T5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Even with the surround setting activated on the chromecast, it only outputs stereo.
I thought maybe it was the extractor but if i put my ps4 on it, i see all 5.1 channels.

I tested several movies some on amazon prime video app that say they support 5.1 audio.

Nothing Im doing seems to get it working properly.. any ideas?

clshades

I've had no issue on several different receivers plugging into one of the HDMI ports on the back.

If the TV has the ARC HDMI port you can also just use any spare HDMI ports for the tv and still produce 5.1. This wouldnt require the optical audio connection.

ARC would be the primary connection from tv to receiver. On the receiver, while playing a movie, you'd select your sound option.

A quick Google search revealed setting up that HDMI port correctly for the Chromecast. The receivers I've dealt with were all plug&play

Last edited:

danmitch1

I'm using my cheap projector but also cannot get 5.1 output off my old Sony Bravia (10+ year old tv). Both these do not have ARC. I tested my tv box through the Bravia and also could not get 5.1. My living room TV otoh has ARC and outputs 5.1 from the tv box no problem.

My receiver only has passthrough HDMI and does not have any audio encoding, this is why I bought the sound extractor.

I guess since the PS4 is older than the Chromecast and my tv box, its sending an older version of dolby? Im not sure why it has no issue outputting 5.1.

I wonder if there is some sort of external ARC gizmo out there.. bit of a bummer if not.

EDIT: Found this https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08Z3C3LGC?psc=1&smid=A34YN9BZJYWN51&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp
Its coming tomorrow, fingers crossed that this is the answer!

Last edited:

clshades

Definately use the Coax output. Optical doesn't support lossless audio. I'm willing to bet this works though. My receiver has encoding or I can use the device encoding. Whichever.

danmitch1

So try digital coaxial instead eh, i only have one cable hooked to my sub, but ill give it a go, thanks for the tip!

lowfat

Staff member
Definately use the Coax output. Optical doesn't support lossless audio. I'm willing to bet this works though. My receiver has encoding or I can use the device encoding. Whichever.
Neither SPDIF supports multi channel lossless. They both support 2 channel uncompressed PCM. Both can do up to about 1.5Mbps compressed (5.1 DTS, Dolby Digital+).

clshades

Neither SPDIF supports multi channel lossless. They both support 2 channel uncompressed PCM. Both can do up to about 1.5Mbps compressed (5.1 DTS, Dolby Digital+).
Coax has more bandwidth than optical. The only reason to use optical is if the COAX has electrical noise.

clshades

I had a closer look at your receiver just now and wanted to clarify. You plugged the Chromecast directly into 1 of 2 inputs, with the output only going to the TV and still don't get 5.1 sound? I seem to remember having this issue with an old receiver and the only way I could get it to work was to run an optical cable from my tv to the receiver and then tell that HDMI port to pull audio from the optical port. Something like that anyway, I do remember it being a real pain in the ass, that went away when I finally had to replace the receiver. (blown channel)

You might not have a choice but to use the optical on that receiver.

danmitch1

Ill have to wait for the other extractor to arrive, the one I have only has optical out for digital.
But yeah, this receiver wont do anything with the HDMI but passthrough the signal, so those 2 HDMI inputs are only good as a splitter.

To get sound from the HDMI on this receiver you either have to go into the TV's HDMI-ARC and then output from the TV's optical/digi coax to the receiver (mentioned above) OR as in my case since both the TV and the projector do not have HDMI-ARC inputs, use a sound extractor.

I just dont understand how my PS4 using the exact same setup works! What is the difference between the output on the chromecast VS the PS4!?!

I contacted google and here is what i got.

"Upon checking, your concern is already being investigated by our senior technician. What was advise to me was to inform you to file a feedback on our device using this keyword for the said issue: b/187753829"
"You can file a feedback through the Google Home app or on the Google TV Settings under the Help and Feedback option."
"We'are checking if it's possible known issue since it should not happen like that as it was working before. There might be something wrong with the software update that might cause of the device not able to play the 5.1 surround sound on their devices."
🤔

Latest posts