What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Chromecast + Bell Fibe app?

sswilson

Staff member
Bell has announced chromecast support for their Bell Fibe app.... anybody out there with both Fibe TV and a Chromecast who can test it out to see if it works?

sswilson

Staff member
Works fine with my Telus fibre.

Cool, so the app loads and gets you access to your tv programming the same as a set top box would?

This would be handy... my MiBox 3 is driving me nuts... there's a bug that prevents it from waking after sleep. The only downside would be the lack of a physical remote for the chromecast.

Arinoth

Staff member
If you want a remote, you could get one of the Amazon FireSticks. They come with the Bell Fibre app pre-installed and as long as it's on your home network you can access everything that's on your account (aka including your PVR) from it. I know several people at work who use them vs a second Bell receiver at their home.

sswilson

Staff member
If you want a remote, you could get one of the Amazon FireSticks. They come with the Bell Fibre app pre-installed and as long as it's on your home network you can access everything that's on your account (aka including your PVR) from it. I know several people at work who use them vs a second Bell receiver at their home.

Cool!!! I wasn't aware that the firestick had the bell fibe app installed. That's exactly the functionality / pricepoint I'm looking for.

edit: Is it the basic version that they have, or do they have a 4K version? (I only need 1080p)

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Well now... that seems to work fine.... :)

All I need now is a good piece of thick black electrical tape to cover alexa's microphone port..... :ph34r:

Arinoth

Staff member
I only had experience with the 4k Version but I figured the standard 1080p should work for you too. Glad to hear it is. I'm not sure, but I think the microphone only works when you hit the button for it to listen to you.

sswilson

Staff member
I only had experience with the 4k Version but I figured the standard 1080p should work for you too. Glad to hear it is. I'm not sure, but I think the microphone only works when you hit the button for it to listen to you.

That's what they tell us.... nudge, nudge, wink, wink...... :)

Actually... it appears it only works while you have the microphone button pressed down, unlike the android TV version which appears to have a set time that it listens after you press the button.

sswilson

Staff member
Quick update on this for anybody with bell fibe looking to replace their STBs....

Currently running 3 Firesticks (1'st gen HD, 2'cnd gen HD, 4K) and all work well, although the 4K version apparently has better wifi so that would probably be the best way to go. Newer TVs even have the benefit of most functions working fine from your TV remote. (Only function not working would be the alexa microphone input)

Channel changing isn't completely instantaneous, but it's relatively quick and certainly not as annoying as the 2 second pause between channels that I used to see on my Rogers STBs. It also seems to be quicker on these firesticks than it was on the MiBox 3.

The downsides are a lack of number input so you're tied to the guide if you want to move to channels further up the line, and the loss of pause/rewind functionality for live TV (full functionality for recorded and on-demand remains).

Overall, pretty happy with the results, and have started returning STBs back to bell in order to save the monthly $8 HD STB rental fee (no idea how much they'd charge for a 4K one if you wanted more than just the base 4K PVR).

Latest posts