What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Clarkdale Core i5-661 CPU Review Comment Thread

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
In recent years, Intel used Nehalem architecture to push both a high end platform with their Bloomfield-based CPUs and their newly released Lynnfield generation of LGA1156 chips. Today they reveal their more moderately-priced Westmere series with the introduction of the Clarkdale desktop and Arrandale mobile CPUs. In this review we will be looking at the Clarkdale Core i5 661.

You can read the review here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...-launch-clarkdale-core-i5-661-cpu-review.html

ENJOY!

Lamb

Awesome stuff we have here! I was amazed it could beat a stock Ci7 920 in so many tests having such a low pricetag and power consumption (LOOK AT THOSE NUMBERS!)

Intel does have a gem in their hands :thumb:

Great review guys, keep em coming :bleh:

tri5cui7

I have a question. I assume the q6600 is stock speeds, however it seems that lots of people with the q6600 overclock it, I have mine at 3.2GHz and it seems like many go as far as 3.6 and above. I was wondering how it would perform at higher clock settings relative to how it performed in these tests. 2% better, 5% or more?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
The IGP is a waste in a lot of situations, unless you use this platform for businesses or a HTPC, unfortunately.

The i3 5xx series looks like a MONSTER for budget OC/gaming rigs. I'm glad I waited and didnt get a P55 setup now, because a mATX build OC'd is going to be awesome!

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
The things is that an higher-end processor is supposed to do better than lower end, it's not supposed to go the other way.

In limited tests, yes, it can do better. You're still talking 2 core vs 4 for other apps. And it has a distinct clockspeed advantage at stock/turbo as well. These are not apple/apple comparisons. If you're going to cherry pick results, sure you can say the i5 6xx series is 'better' then the 920. However, if I'm going to cherry pick results, I can easily say the 920 is better. This is why we make apple/apple comparisons.

Latest posts