What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Clickfree - What is it?

Dunc

I was given a Clickfree external hard drive (or?) with a stated capacity of 750 GB. It connects via USB. I have looked at the Clickfree website with no success. I am wondering if it is worth any effort given its small capacity (in a world of TBs). When I view it in Disk Management it has 2 components :
1. Clickfree System 200 MB, a healthy primary partition that includes what is, I think, a proprietary backup app. This partition is identified in disk management as a CD-ROM; in any event, I am unable to write to /erase. This section would seem to install this backup software (or whatever) with file signatures dated mid-2011. Given my system is Win 11, 64 bit this is not a route that I wish to follow blindly.
2. The remaining space is is labeled as "removable" and consists of (2 parts): [A] a 200 Mb free space that is not convertible (I expect that this is the partition assigned to contain the "cd-rom" as described above plus a 628.23 GB NTFS healthy primary partition. I can read/write/delete successfully to this latter partition.

What exactly is it? Clickfree is less than clear. Can I install the software? Should I try installing it? Any source for Win11 compatible software somewhere? (Obviously it can't be written to the "cd-rom".

If the best advice is scrap it then I have no problem. It is small capacity anyways - sort of a sneaker transfer setup
Thanks

moocow

Quick Google showing they are out of business so whatever software you need to use with it is moot. You could try to force remove the first partition with DISKPART and see if you can reformat it to NTFS or FAT and use it. Or shuck it and see if you can re-home it to another external case.

EDIT: one of these?

1702248872076.png

lowfat

Staff member
Diskpart will easily work.

Open cmd/powershell.

Diskpart
list disk (find the 750GB)
select disk (number of the 750GB from above)
clean
create partition primary

Then in disk management you can format is as normal.

Dunc

Quick Google showing they are out of business so whatever software you need to use with it is moot. You could try to force remove the first partition with DISKPART and see if you can reformat it to NTFS or FAT and use it. Or shuck it and see if you can re-home it to another external case.

EDIT: one of these?

View attachment 39005

Latest posts