What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Client location database software android/windows tablet??

turtletrax

Banned
Hey guys. I have a vac truck company and want to begin databasing the location and other specific information of all my current clients. I figure I can use a tablet with GPS and drop a pin with the location, take a photo of any pertinent info such as tank location or markings and other things that will assist future employees or if I ever sell the business.

I have a decent chunk of change saved for hardware, but have no idea about the software end. I saw a propane hauler had something a few years ago, but never bothered to ask what they were running. Hope it wasn't custom as I don't want to spend that kind of cheddar.

Any help is appreciated :biggrin:

Damon.

enaberif

Google Maps can do this and can store I think upwards of 2500 pins or something? And you can store a picture as well as information on the pin.

turtletrax

Banned
Lol, it is funny how you sometimes miss the most obvious things :)

Thanks enabarif :thumb:

Now, just have to figure out if I want a a Surface Pro 3 or just get a Galaxy Tab Pro. :whistle:

turtletrax

Banned
After some research I like the idea of having a full blown windows tablet that is x86 such as the Surface pro, but amazingly enough they don't have GPS on board. I know you can get usb gps or bluetooth but complicates things a bit.

So now I am stuck. Having a portable x86 allows me to run quick books and do on the fly billing and when my Wife is out and about if she needs to do any bookkeeping she can do it much more easily than with an Android device. Tech has come so far but I always seem to need the one omission that would make a device perfect. I guess it makes it easier to sell gear by adding stuff one thing a generation...

Does anyone have any opinion on this? I have a decent wireless data plan and my device WiFi Hotspot is not locked so I don't mind the lack of 4G radio on the Surface Pro 3, just gps and lack of decent hard cases as of yet for the SP3. Hate to drop a $1000 tablet...

Thanks for any help.

enaberif

After some research I like the idea of having a full blown windows tablet that is x86 such as the Surface pro, but amazingly enough they don't have GPS on board. I know you can get usb gps or bluetooth but complicates things a bit.

So now I am stuck. Having a portable x86 allows me to run quick books and do on the fly billing and when my Wife is out and about if she needs to do any bookkeeping she can do it much more easily than with an Android device. Tech has come so far but I always seem to need the one omission that would make a device perfect. I guess it makes it easier to sell gear by adding stuff one thing a generation...

Does anyone have any opinion on this? I have a decent wireless data plan and my device WiFi Hotspot is not locked so I don't mind the lack of 4G radio on the Surface Pro 3, just gps and lack of decent hard cases as of yet for the SP3. Hate to drop a $1000 tablet...

Thanks for any help.

Can't say how "compatible" it would be but you could try using a USB GPS adapter (USGlobalsat Corporate)

turtletrax

Banned

Hmmmm, Might have to get the wife to look and see how it adds up to her needs. Thanks!

Can't say how "compatible" it would be but you could try using a USB GPS adapter (USGlobalsat Corporate)

Most likely what will end up happening. The more I think about it having the capability of running all my Windows software makes the Surface 3 Pro very appealing. I would love to be able to stream ISO's over my network and use the tablet as an input device via touch to control my HTPC and 106" projector :)

No advice on the tablet but you might want to check Scribble Maps.

This looks like the ticket too. Will start playing with it and see if it is as good as it looks. Thanks!

Latest posts