What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Cloning NVMe drive with multiple partitions

sswilson

Staff member
Dell offers downloadable recovery media and with Windows 10 you can always just download from MS directly too. Never found a reason to keep those OEM recovery partitions on my personal machines.

And just to be clear, you're talking about moving the OEM recovery to the end of the drive? Not the OS one that's the boot partition? I had issues with the OS boot partition being at the end of the drive and preventing Windows 7 to 10 upgrades, so I wouldn't be surprised if it prevents you from doing feature upgrades in Win10 too. Just something to be mindful of...

I stand to be corrected, but I don't believe that's an actual replacement image... I think it just directs you to the most recent ISO for the MS USB tool, and doesn't even include unique drivers.

I'd have been much more comfortable if they'd have had the type of "backup your factory OS" tool that used to ship with all pre-builts.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I wanted a factory image recovery right on the machine with all the drivers and Alienware software, which is why I was copying the multiple partitions. Yes, you can create a recovery USB (and I have) but they seem to grow legs in my house and move anytime my wife wants to go get some photos printed off at London Drugs.

I'll check my service tag when I get home, and see if the correct factory image ISO is downloadable direct from Dell here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/ca/en/cabsdt1/drivers/osiso/recoverytool If it is, I can reclaim the recovery partition space. Indeed, I might just do a full recovery onto the new SSD if that's the case and start again. I've only got 4-5 games downloaded on that laptop anyways, and a few other installs which could be redone in a few minutes.

JD

Staff member
In my case, I went with the direct MS ISO instead and did it clean. It picked up most drivers from Windows Update actually and the end result was a much smoother running laptop. The default Alienware install (and their set of drivers) seemed to cause a bunch of input lag with the mouse, it just felt jittery and stuttered all the time.

But yeah, I had downloaded the ISO using the Dell tool and it did have all the Alienware branding when I tried it, just that it was a really old version of Windows 10.

sswilson

Staff member
In my case, I went with the direct MS ISO instead and did it clean. It picked up most drivers from Windows Update actually and the end result was a much smoother running laptop. The default Alienware install (and their set of drivers) seemed to cause a bunch of input lag with the mouse, it just felt jittery and stuttered all the time.

But yeah, I had downloaded the ISO using the Dell tool and it did have all the Alienware branding when I tried it, just that it was a really old version of Windows 10.

Cool! I stand corrected then. Did it also come with the standard bloatware? (Assuming that alienware has at least some bloatware.... ).

I made a copy for my G3 but didn't use it for the install.... there was nothing I really wanted to keep from the factory install (and a few things I most definitely didn't want ) so I just did a standard w10 install from the MS tool.

JD

Staff member
Cool! I stand corrected then. Did it also come with the standard bloatware? (Assuming that alienware has at least some bloatware.... )
If I recall correctly, I don't think it does, not even out of box. None of the typical McAfee/whatever garbage that I can remember...but it was well over a year ago now :bleh:

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Well, the downloadable recovery iso was a plain jane Windows install. Which I may still do. But I moved the new cloned SSD to the primary M2 slot and it boots fine with no issues. Thanks all.