What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed CM - The Reform 1.0

feerof

Hey guys, I thought I might as well share my progress with my case mod. Honestly I was inspired by the fact that I had a case that had so much potential but yet... due to the design, it wasn't very useful... Also I was inspired by MNPCTECH because of their awesome tutorials! I got myself a dremel (what a dream tool. seriously. awesome. best tool I've ever got.) and I decided to use this time to practice some of my never used, never learned, solidworks (non existent) skillz. I looked up some tutorials and went from there... so far solidworks is by far the best program I've ever used.

So here it goes! I'll update as soon as I get more ideas out of my head.

Checklist:

To do:

In progress:

Done:

- Top mounted interior radiator

• fixed some missing cross members
- A bracket for 3 intake fans at the front of the computer.
- Mobo tray hole for back plate
- Buy caster wheels and install them
- repaint the case
- Install crossbar to support the radiator
- install the whole water cooling setup

Last edited:

feerof

In my opinion this case looked pretty ugly =(... Here's how it looked like back then:

The front and side view:

side+front_sealed.jpg

The side of the case:

side_sealed.JPG

The side panel removed:

full_side_panel_off.JPG

Yeah... pretty ugly right? Lets see if I can improve it or worsen it... lol =P

Last edited:

feerof

This is how the case looked like when I removed the PSU cage up top, and painted it black with the help of a friend. This was how the case looked like last year during the winter.

Side panel removed:

black%20interior%20flat%20on.jpg

Side panel still in place:

black%20isometric.jpg

front + top view:

black%20top.jpg

Just for the comparison sake of how my rig changed from the past to the present:

comparison%202.jpg

Last edited:

bkh2

Hey look, it's me sitting on the flex ball lol

Looks really good so far. Maybe add a little more pizazz to the vents to make it look cooler. Can't wait to see the loop up and running.

Lpfan4ever

Holy crap that rad is huge. Also, did you do all the cuts on the top with just the dremel? I assume you fixed them up before taking those last couple of pictures. Either way, looks good. Always nice to bring new life to old stuff.

feerof

Holy crap that rad is huge. Also, did you do all the cuts on the top with just the dremel? I assume you fixed them up before taking those last couple of pictures. Either way, looks good. Always nice to bring new life to old stuff.

lol thanks!

Umm... yeah I had to do a lot of filing... probably 45 mins - 1 hour worth of filing (as you can see in one of the pictures with the aluminum filings. Oh and I was soooo tired afterwards.

To tell you the honest truth I would not have done this case mod if it wasn't because I was on budget LOL but as it turns out, the time cost of modding a case would have bought me a HAFX lol... worth it? hell yeah, it's so fun and I get some tools and experience out of it!:thumb:

Fun is what matters =P

feerof

Obviously modding requires a bit of preparation, so here goes what I did to prepare.

This is how the top of my case would look like if I isolated that specific section of the case:

solideworks%20original%20top%20panel%20with%20rad.jpg

After numerous measurements and redesigns, I decided to stick with this one because of simplicity and easy of cutting with a dremel:

solidworks%20new%20top%20with%20rad.jpg

Now to set up the cuts on the actual case... boy was a nervous... even when planning:

cut%20setup.jpg

Size comparison of the radiator that has to go in the case:

rad%20top%20setup.jpg

Final setup before I cut it:

cutting%20setup.jpg

Because I don't have a workshop, I had to do all my cutting outside:

cutting%20in%20progress.jpg

After a longgggg while of filing the rough edges (notice the filing bits at the bottom of the case =P ), the final product looks like this:

cutting%20done.jpg

Hopefully it's looking good to you guys!

Give me suggestions if you'd like! It would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

feerof

As a bonus, I decided to cut a CPU backplate hole... lol... since it was so easy to do with a dremel, here's how it went:

The setup to cutting:

mobo%20before%20cut.jpg

Because the metal barb for the radiator was in the way of one of the mobo support sections, I had to improvise and cut a small slot into that support... just enough so that I can fit tubing:

mobo%20slot.jpg

I had to sand the mobo tray down, however I got lazy and didn't take pictures of the painted version of the mobo tray:

mobo%20tray%20with%20hole%20paint.JPG

Since I was painting the mobo tray, I decided to paint the radiator also since it was a little beat up (again I forgot to paint the final product, but you guys will see the final product in the water loop setup pics):

rad%20setup%20paint.JPG

Last edited:

feerof

Now if you guys noticed that there was a missing hole at the top of the case... well that has to be filled in. So here's a ghetto way of doing it... Krazy glue!

Replacement cross members:

replacement%20cross%20members.jpg

Installing one of the members:

cross%20member%201.JPG

oh boy this took a long time... constant filing without a dam vice... horrible. Can't wait to finish up my garage. All of the members in there:

cross%20member%20full.JPG

How the case looks like without the paint:

cross%20member%20full%20case%20pic.JPG

After numerous coats, and mistakes ... like putting primer on the old paint... BIG mistake:

cross%20memeber%20full%20case%20black%20pic.JPG

For the people with sharp eyes out there, yes I did install caster wheels that I bought from my local Canadian Tires (suggested by another HWC member)... no locks though =(.
If you guys noticed a reformat in my postings, you're correct, I decided to change the format because when I looked at the bunch of pictures, it didn't really appeal to me... I mean who would want to look at a bunch of pictures with no logic in organization? =P So hopefully you guys like this format more.
Again please post responses of what you guys think! thanks!

Cheers

Pine

Looks a ton better than what you started with.
Loving it so far.

Latest posts