What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

CMOS reset/restart and no luck

clg

So put my computer to sleep last night, fired it up this morning to a black screen. Tried to restart and it just shut down. I did some trouble shooting and reset the CMOS via the jumper, it worked but I accidentally went into setup vs. Del for BIOS update so I foolishly did a restart again and I'm pretty sure I bent myself over there. I cannot boot now, no resets are working and I'm left with a dead PC. Did I ruin this Mobo, is it time to go shopping? Mobo in question is an Asus P8Z77-V LK

Last edited:

clg

Just needed to sit unplugged for a bit for whatever reason. Fired up, updated BIOS from flash and I'm back to the races once again.

ZZLEE

You can save to a USB stick on that board BIOS and settings.
If you upgrade BIOS it will eat all your saved settings so photo or write them all down before flashing.

clg

Shut it down earlier tonight, now it doesn't want to start tor no reason whatsoever. No beeps, gpu lights showing they're receiving power. PSU is an AX750 that was new as of the holidays.

Unplug the PSU for about an hour, plug it back in and it fires up. Fine when put to sleep, shut down causes this.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Do you have to leave it sit for an hour? Normally once it's unplugged you just have to press the power button a few times to discharge the capacitors.

Have you redone all of the connections to ensure you don't have a bad "power = good" connection? How about testing the PSU by disconnecting it from the system, shorting the plug for power (Green + black) and then cycle it on / off to see if you can replicate the issue with the motherboard out of the loop?

Shadowmeph

Do you have to leave it sit for an hour? Normally once it's unplugged you just have to press the power button a few times to discharge the capacitors.

Have you redone all of the connections to ensure you don't have a bad "power = good" connection? How about testing the PSU by disconnecting it from the system, shorting the plug for power (Green + black) and then cycle it on / off to see if you can replicate the issue with the motherboard out of the loop?

That is what I usually do when reseting my cmos just unplug press the power button for maybe 10seconds and everything is reset .

Off topic
unfortuanately my last flash was a total failure but luckly my motherboard has a removable Bios chip I can buy.
I wonder that one I get the new chip if I can use it to reflash my old chip hmm

clg

Not quite an hour, but a while. I'll do as you suggested and report back.