What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Cold Boot Freezing issue.

Sheep

Greetings,

I've been a fan of this site's reviews for quite some time, and recently purchased a new computer for a HTPC/gaming setup. The hardware is as follows.

-Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
-Sapphire Radeon HD4870 512 GDDR5
-WD 1 TB Black
-G Skill PC2-6400 2x2gig
-Thermalright AXP-140 with Noctua NF-P12
-Corsair HX620
-Intel Core2Duo E7400
-Old LG DVD rom (IDE)
-Silverstone Lascala LC-13B

My problem lies with cold boots. I usually shut my computer off at night before bed (actually always, stopped now that this problem has occurred), and restart it after I get back from work the next day. At first I was running Windows Vista, but didn't like it. I was also running the stock heatsink, and wanted to upgrade to the Thermalright AXP140 (More of a want then a need). After installing the heatsink and reformatting back to XP Pro, I have been experiencing cold boot freezing. It usually takes 3 restarts before the computer operates properly (First start freezes once windows loads, second start freezes at the Mobo logo screen). Also, my computer is currently not recognizing my IDE DVD rom. Before, it was recognizing 2 WD HDDs when I only have 1 (this problem is no longer present).

I purchased this computer from NCIX, and assembled it myself with the help of some more experienced friends. I am not skilled with computer assembly, and did not install the heatsink myself. I do however have google, and looked up how to do it. From what I can tell, my friend put on WAY to much TIM. The AXP-140 uses a back plate and I figured the extra TIM (Thermalright supplied TIM) would push out of the way to the sides. My temps at Idle are around 37*C, which I believe is the norm for a HTPC case with poorer airflow.

Basically, before I resort to standing in a lineup at NCIX on a Saturday to have them check for defective hardware, is there anything you can recommend that would help? I know I need to replace the DVD-Rom with a DVD Burner, and will pick up a SATA one when I do (which would be when I take the computer back), but other then that, myself and my friends are stumped as to the cause of this problem.

Thanks for all your help,
Sheep

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
1. Have you reset the CMOS? It may be having a hard time booting because if this.
2. Running stock volts? Raise the Vcore and Vram by one setting. Try again.

Welcome the to Forums.

John

Sheep

1. Have you reset the CMOS? It may be having a hard time booting because if this.
2. Running stock volts? Raise the Vcore and Vram by one setting. Try again.

Welcome the to Forums.

John

1A.) I have not. I will try that.
2A.) The Volts are what ever it would be out of the box. One thing to note that I forgot to mention, is my CPU seems to be de-clocked. At idle it sits at 1600mhz, and with Folding running it hits 2200mhz. It should be 2800mhz, always. I've heard this is some feature to keep temps down, is there a way to override it? Could these be related?

Thanks for the quick reply,
Sheep

3.0charlie

Sheep

Good; for the difference in speed, follow this guide for Speedstep changes: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/14026-whats-up-my-cpu-speedstep-f-q.html.

And since the HSF was changed, the cold boot may be related to a case short. I would remove the rig from the case completly, and re-assemble on a cardboard box with minimal components: board, CPU, 1 stick of ram, GPU. Then add the HDD, then the DVD.

I just raised the CPU and Ram voltages.

CPU: 1.2500 to 1.31
RAM: 1.800 to 1.820

I will go through that article and change the CPU clock.

Thanks,
Sheep

Babrbarossa

To stop the power saving options that scale back the CPU multiplier, disable C1E and speedstep in the bios. You might actually want these on though.

3.0charlie

Reply with a screenshot of CPU-z, showing the first and 4th tabs. You can open CPU-z twice.

Sheep

Reply with a screenshot of CPU-z, showing the first and 4th tabs. You can open CPU-z twice.

Here you go. I found the multiplier in the BIOS and set it to 10.5. Now the CPU is loading at 2800mhz (idling at 1600). I still have the voltages increased, and will try a cold boot tomorrow.

CPUZscreen.jpg

Edit: Damn, this is a little small on my screen. Can you see it alright? I run 1920x1080 on a HTPC.

Thanks,
Brian

3.0charlie

The bus speed and multi are now fine, the CPU volts look damn low (1.088V?), and the ram is fine. Double-check the settings in regards to the Vcore.

Latest posts