What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment Thread for AMD HD 7970 3GB Review

TedShackley

a lot of places say $549, didn't SKYMTL say $499 (edit:eek:n an early page, not the last page...oh well-its expensive either way)

it has 1 of the best performance/watt, and is tied with the 580 for 1 of the WORST performance/dollar

keto

Meh, the top dog will virtually always have the worst bang/buck...that's not its purpose in life, it's to be the fastest...and, of course, recoup the development costs and make a few bucks too.

Nice thorough review...how long did you have it in hand? Must have been a week, I'll guess.

No question that it's the fastest single...I was just glad to see my 580 wasn't *totally* outclassed, though well behind.

Prolab

So basically my 6950/6970's price plummet down in the used market.

But damn, i want it! BTW Sky, the card you used - is that a reference design?

SugarJ

Staff member
I believe the card tested was an engineering sample provided by AMD.

I'm looking forward to seeing a Twin Frozr version of this card. Glad to see AMD climb back on top of the charts.

Grampa

Thanks for the great review Sky!!!

Been waiting to see how this did...
Quite an impressive jump over AMD's previous cards!

Nice work ATI err... AMD gpu folks! :haha::thumb:

le2key

wow nice performance boost. the temps are good but i was hoping for it to be a bit better, not like 25c at load but just a bit better. oh well the aftermarket coolers will take care of that. can't wait to see what the 7990 will pull.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Nice review as always!

Man, this is the first ATI release in ages where I am dying to see the folding numbers. Glad to see that AMD/ATI is attacking the conpute market hard; they pioneered this area but nVidia has done well here.

If the drivers do their job properly, and the folding numbers are good, I could see myself finally getting some AMD parts in my rigs again!!!

sswilson

Staff member
Great review Skymtl! I know you had to burn the midnight oil to get this one out. :)

Kudos to AMD's vid card research team for what looks to be a great product, hopefully it's a sign of better things to come for other aspects of AMD's product line.

Unfortunately, we couldn’t get any [email protected] numbers for this review since Stanford’s new V7 beta GPU client (which supports OpenCL) failed to recognize our card. Hopefully this will be rectified in the next release since as we saw above, the HD 7970 has the potential to be a Folding powerhouse if the OpenCL coding can be successfully ported over to the GCN architecture. Until then, we’ll continue looking for some real world applications that can highlight the benefits of OpenCL and DirectCompute performance.
As far as looking for quantifiable "real world" results for GPGPU without having to rely on a FAH client which hasn't worked for AMD in quite some time, how about some boinc lovin'? I'm sure somebody here would be able to hook us up with good info on how to re-produce benchmarks on a platform that actually works with AMD's architecture.

muse108dc

While that is one very nice looking card the price will stop me from picking it up. I'll see how the more mid range cards do or just wait for the price to drop.

But I am envious of all you people who are talking about upgrading from the current gen cards, I have a rule that a GPU gets to last 3 years/generations in my machine before I can consider an upgrade. But my time has come, and it looks like a good time to do it too.

Latest posts

Twitter