What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment Thread for AMD HD 7970 3GB Review

Lamb

Looks like an awesome card from ATI there, hope the driver team can keep it's thing togheter!

Worth upgrading over my current GPU? No.

Also, ATI need not to flex muscle, they *finally* beat >6 months and older generation cards, can't wait to see what the green team as in their hands for us next!

Thanks for the review SKY!

Last edited:

TedShackley

last nvidia I owned was like a geforce2 mx440, so I'm no fanboy

nvidia must be delighted that next gen 28nm 7970 barely beats 580 in a lot of games, drivers better fix that

too bad I don't have the patience to wait and see 28nm nvidia, if they slam amd, I'll sell 7970 and get 1 as soon as I can

Bond007

Very solid review. If only AMD had a CPU that was a compelling so that people could get back to making all AMD based systems (well I guess it used to be AMD/ATI). Now that the 7970 sits where it should we all have to wait to see where the dust settles for the rest of the 7xxx lineup and pricing, after the new card novelty wears off. This card is great, but outside my bang for buck ways of purchasing. Hopefully the new architecture sees its way throughout the GPU lineup sooner than later (rumors have it only in the 79xx cards and not the lower models, but time will tell). I probably have another year until my current desktop won't do what I want it to anymore.

Arinoth

Staff member
Rather informative review, looks like its a good card. Unfortunately I don't consider it a great card as for the price you can currently (and probably more easily in the future) use 2 6970s for the price of a 7970 and get similar performance. I was really hoping it would beat out consistently the 6990 and the 590, which would prove it worth of the 550$ USD MSRP AMD is wanting to launch it at.

Masteroderus

AWESOME REVIEW! :canadianwave:

So does this mean that indigo xtreme is going to start making gpu kits????? You said something about a phase change TIM on the card.

Soultribunal

Staff member
AWESOME REVIEW! :canadianwave:

So does this mean that indigo xtreme is going to start making gpu kits????? You said something about a phase change TIM on the card.
I think what they mean is the TIM changes Phases on the Card. Not that it has TIM designed for Phase CHange Kits to be installed.

I could be wrong.

Very happy to see AMD have a Flagship product that doesn't require TWO Gpu's.

-ST

Jebusman

I'm glad that AMD has finally put out a worthwhile flagship card, I really am. The fact that it beats out their previous generation but with lower power usage, that's incredible, kudos to them. And beating out the GTX580? That's awesome. AMD is always known for their efficiency > raw power deal, and they really prove it with this.

But it's still claiming victory over beating out a previous gen card. Quite frankly, that's to be expected. But if NVIDIA shows up with the GTX 700 series and it absolutely destroyed the 7970, then AMD has a problem.

Their only hope is that Saturn aligns with Mars and availability and price hit the magic number and they get enough of a lead that when the Green Train comes rolling in, they don't get obliterated.

Latest posts

Twitter