What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment Thread for AMD HD 7970 3GB Review

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Phase Change TIM is basically a pad that is able to change its consistency slightly when heat is applied. It can then spread into any imperfections within the surface, thus increasing its contact zone.

Galcobar

a lot of places say $549, didn't SKYMTL say $499 (edit:eek:n an early page, not the last page...oh well-its expensive either way)

it has 1 of the best performance/watt, and is tied with the 580 for 1 of the WORST performance/dollar
The only place I've seen $499 is on the AMD’s Current and Upcoming Lineup under the Microscope (page 9). Every other review I've read, and SKYMTL's conclusion, puts it at $549.

Aimbayya

damn, i thought it was coming out in January so i went and bought a 6950 lol still happy with it though
I am confused so the 6990 is still better performance wise, but the 7970 is more efficient?

Soultribunal

Staff member
damn, i thought it was coming out in January so i went and bought a 6950 lol still happy with it though
I am confused so the 6990 is still better performance wise, but the 7970 is more efficient?

Remember the 6990 is a DUAL GPU card vs a Single GPU 7970.
The fact that a single GPU card gets even close to a Dual is amazing!

ST

mattlef

I want this card. But I'll have to wait for waterblocks to be available for it, :S which might be a while.
Hopefully with the "paper launch" EK can get some ES cards from amd and start to work right away on some solid full cover blocks.

Soultribunal

Staff member
I want this card. But I'll have to wait for waterblocks to be available for it, :S which might be a while.
Hopefully with the "paper launch" EK can get some ES cards from amd and start to work right away on some solid full cover blocks.
Don't blame you, sounds like this card is a loud one. Which is something that hopefully the board partners can work on.

-ST

FreeKnight

Fantastic review Sky. I didn't have time to read the whole thing in depth (hopping on a plane, and there's just a phenomenal amount of infor in the review), but the numbers look promising. I don't think this is enough for me to get rid of my 2x 5870 matrixes, but in a year when I see what nvidia has and the inevitible 8xxx series looks like I might bump up again...

FreeKnight

Don't blame you, sounds like this card is a loud one. Which is something that hopefully the board partners can work on.

-ST
It will be interesting what Sapphire or MSI do with this. I just wish XFX's custom cards looked better and ran like the Twin Frozr and Vapor-x cards. Then you'd have an ATI card that had a lifetime and killer looks.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
The $499 is an error. Actual price will be $549 or higher.

Latest posts

Twitter