What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment Thread for AMD HD 7970 3GB Review

G

except in winter when I heat my house with cheap electricity anyway
Heh ask the boys in the irc, when my feet get cold I just fire up furmark for 10 mins........... nice and toasty.

But no 30w drawn say over 16 hours adds up.

Avenger212

I can't believe my eyes when I saw the 7970 OC beat a 6990. The best review about AMD this year! Thank you Sky from saving me from moving towards the green team next year...

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Insane performance... are you sure you didnt receive a dual-gpu card Sky? cause it really seems like thats what you were running, judging by how closely this card nips at the heels of the 6990 and GTX590.

Oh my. Can I say it? Fastest single gpu card in the world once more! 'Tis your turn Nvidia!

AkG

Now THIS is more like it. Been too long since AMD actually pulled out ALL the stops. If I was NV I would be VERY worried. The only thing which is holding me back from these - besides the paper launch - is the big ??? on drivers. IF AMD can get their driver support up to par this will be one BEAST of a card!!

techman95

i did have to use those spare pants:bleh: this thing bitch slaps everything and i love it now i just have to wait for the reviews on the 7950 and 7870 cause the only way i can afford this would to become a prostitute:whistle::ph34r:

TedShackley

good review

I'm actually a bit disappointed with the performance, but I'm using a 6950 @1080p, so it will look better seeing that comparison, and hopefully driver updates will only further increase FPS

but the noise level will force me to wait until non-ref cards (I have a silver arrow , 80+silver 750W and primary SSD=very quiet rig), they should have great low temps too

now the other big question is still CF and have headaches, or get 7970, for 1080p I'll probably just get 7970

come on quiet 7970 versions

Coach

When I look at the performance numbers from this review I take the view point of comparing minimum framerates (the only ones that really matter to me) at 25*16 everything maxxed. With that in mind the difference between a reference 580 and 7970 is ~20.3% in favor of the 7970 of coarse. IMO I am impressed how the old 580 hangs in there.

TedShackley

thats what I mean, I was expecting 7970 to beat 580 by much more than it did, lets hope drivers will the gap bigger-soon (not that I'm considering a 580)

Coach

But no 30w drawn say over 16 hours adds up.

In summer I completely agree! Any unwanted excess heat produced then is often twice as costly as it must be removed with more electricity (ie A/C)... But in winter? no, my compy's are 100% efficient, zero wasted electricity.

TedShackley

looking at TPUs review, it is almost 2x 6950 at 1200p in BF3 and a few others, so thats very good news for me