What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment Thread for AMD Radeon HD 6870 & HD 6850 Review

MAC

Associate Review Editor
The results are slightly different over at Legit Reviews where it seems that in many benchmarks, NVIDIA comes out on top. Hmmmmmmm
Gee, I wonder why...

EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB FTW - 850MHz Core/1700MHz Shader/1000MHz Memory
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 768MB SuperClocked - 763MHz Core/1526MHz Shader/950MHz Memory
Shall we look at GTX 460 reference clocks?

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 - 675MHz Core/1350MHz Shader/900MHz Memory

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
"The AA algorithms are calculated more efficiently by leveraging the GPGPU compute abilities of modern Radeon cards and the power of the DirectCompute API."
Meaning morphological AA might be available for 5 series cards as well?

I'm kinda disappointed that theres no necessity to upgrade from a 58 series card just yet, hopefully the later 6 series cards crunch out more performance (Y)
It may.

MpG

I call BS on the Legit Reviews review....They're the only site that has the gtx 460 beating the 6850 consistently.
Check their test setup page - a bunch of EVGA SC and FTW 450 and 460 cards. While the overclockability of those cards is certainly a selling point, it's hard not to see that as stacking the deck a little. Much prefer the stock clocks used here.

Between the power consumption and the performance, this certainly hints at some real fun once Caymen hits the scene in a month.

CTA

please correct me... hd 6870 didnt beat hd 5870 at most of time... ?

is it worth to upgrade over hd 5870 or gtx 460/470?

btw... i wish i can see gtx 480 there... :/

MpG

please correct me... hd 6870 didnt beat hd 5870 at most of time... ?

is it worth to upgrade over hd 5870 or gtx 460/470?

btw... i wish i can see gtx 480 there... :/
Very very unlikely that it'd be worth your time to upgrade from those cards. And remember, the 58XX are high-end cards, these are technically mid-range, which is what makes these so impressive.

geokilla

Gee, I wonder why...

Shall we look at GTX 460 reference clocks?
Check their test setup page - a bunch of EVGA SC and FTW 450 and 460 cards. While the overclockability of those cards is certainly a selling point, it's hard not to see that as stacking the deck a little. Much prefer the stock clocks used here.

Between the power consumption and the performance, this certainly hints at some real fun once Caymen hits the scene in a month.
Good find. Yes comparing stock clocks would be the way to go, but from what I heard, Apoptosis isn't allowed to keep most of the GPUs he gets for reviews. Maybe he has only the OCed versions work with? But either way, thanks for pointing that out.

@CTA. I believe it said it's coming out Q1 2011.

FlyingFish

Great review. That XFX grill is just bad ass.

However I'm glad the 470 still holds up. It helps me avoid having to go out and buy new cards just to satisfy my ego and my addiction to buying new GPUs every year:haha:

Kommie986

It feels good and bad being a consumer right now. I can buy for cheaper, but with price drops on both sides, which one do you get?