What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment Thread for GTX 480 and GTX 470 Reviews

H

HaDeS

Well I read most of the review. Very well done once again Sky! My opinion is more of a gut feeling with out too much fact to back it up but I've been around since voodoo so take it as a grain of salt. I'm honestly not that impressed with the 480/470 video card release. I think we'll need to sit on it a bit and see how they make this new architecture really perform. Throwing more power at something that in turn creates a bunch more heat isn't really a step forward but another step backwards. Yes yes I'm fully aware that ATI does the same thing and all previous video cards before it. So the debate for me is... IS it really a more powerful card or does it just use more power.

Take CPU's for example they always seem to increase in speed whilst trying to keep power resources down... yes they use more power at times but they always do try to combat the power ussage issues. Then we talk about GPU's and their direction...

For example: The 285 will do around 8000ppd folding and cost 30-50 dollars per month in power bill increases. If the 480 does 10-12k ppd but uses 20 dollars more power a month how is this better? Or more efficient? The new architecture should be using less power to produce either better GFX or more PDD at less cost to joe blow consumer. An example of moving forward was the 280 to 285. Less power less heat better performance. I really don't think they've jumped the hurdle yet and this card seems more like a bunch of board room desicions than an honest to god superior product. I'll leave my final decision in user reviews because in the end... that thing better run damn near bug free for people to really be impressed.

wembler

ATI Update for Today

Just updated my 5870. Was hoping to get the 480, but I do think this is not a success story for NV.

Wonder if any reviews will incorporate these types of updates:

go to ATI site.

So now it seems ATI can do 3D too, that was one of the main reasons to go NVIDIA. And in some games that the 480 was much better then the 5870 like Dirt 2, the ATI cards now have 20%-30% increase pending. Hmm, the war could be interesting. Also, I do not believe the NV drivers are really new considering how long they have been developing them.

miggs78

On topic, Very nicely done review, I think it covered all aspects, and the reviewer wasn't favoring one side, he was taking both sides. That GTX 480 rocks, only if they had a better cooling solution, 95C on idle is a no-no man..

Zero82z

Banned
On topic, Very nicely done review, I think it covered all aspects, and the reviewer wasn't favoring one side, he was taking both sides. That GTX 480 rocks, only if they had a better cooling solution, 95C on idle is a no-no man..
95C was the load temperature; the idle temps were much more reasonable. Still very hot though.

artistpavel

I used to have a XFX 8800GT single slot solution, idling at 70C and 105C on load, now that was brutal, 49/95C is not the worst it could be:) at least not that far from g200 cards.

Delavan

That GTX 480 rocks, only if they had a better cooling solution, 95C on idle is a no-no man..
Sky NEVER said that the 480 runs at 95C at IDLE!!!

92 to 95 C running maxed out in 3D!
The issue is when you run two monitors, the card doesn`t clock down into "economy" mode.

Anyway, all this screws up my upgrade path...I don't feel like buying those nice but hot cards.
At NCIX, all decent HD5870s (the ones with the good warranties) are GONE/non-available.
There is Sapphire, Gigabyte and Powercolor left...

So all in all I'm screwed.
And for the GTX480/470, NCIX pre-order states:
The final price is subject to change. You will be charged for this item once the ETA is confirmed by the manufacturer.
So what? You might end up paying MORE for the card???

_dangtx_

Banned
the giga ones have 3 years warranties, dont think youll keep it that long tough as your main card.

Latest posts

Twitter