What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment Thread for GTX 480 and GTX 470 Reviews

Canzara

They don't seem all that impressive.
The 480 has a 1/2 gig more ram onboard...this alone will make a difference at high res, and at high res they seem to even out in most cases.
Not to mention the power requirements and heat WOW
The cards HAD to be a bit faster to even bother releasing them, but this really isn't anything to be bragging about IMO
The performance difference could probably be made up with a modest overclock, especially with the 470vs5850.

Delavan

Question to SKYMTL,

We all know the truth now, thanks to SKY...

-Performance is there (although not a big improvement) over HD5870
-Cards are running hot.
-Power consumption is high.

NOW, that the word is out..
Is it possible that from the launch date (march 26th) to the first shipments April 12th, some board partners have time to flash the bIOS of these cards to "mod" the fan profiles and stuff???

Also, are there board partners quick enough to offer "custom" fan designs for GTX470/480 really quickly to try to get around most of FERMIs issues?

Is XFX the only manufacturer that still warranty it's cards even if you install custom cooling solution?

bojangles

Question to SKYMTL,

We all know the truth now, thanks to SKY...

-Performance is there (although not a big improvement) over HD5870
-Cards are running hot.
-Power consumption is high.

NOW, that the word is out..
Is it possible that from the launch date (march 26th) to the first shipments April 12th, some board partners have time to flash the bIOS of these cards to "mod" the fan profiles and stuff???

Also, are there board partners quick enough to offer "custom" fan designs for GTX470/480 really quickly to try to get around most of FERMIs issues?

Is XFX the only manufacturer that still warranty it's cards even if you install custom cooling solution?
I don't think we'll see any revised cards anytime soon. We may see some slightly adjusted fan profiles, but not by much. Who wants a screaming GPU anyway?

For custom fan designs, I don't think those will show up anytime soon either between now and the launch date. The problem is the high TDP from the leaky transistors, and also just the massive amount of them.

EVGA is also a company that allows you to install a custom cooling solution as well.

zlojack

I think I'll stick with my GTX 280s for a while yet. These look nice, but not worth the investment for the performance jump at this point.

Maybe the 580s will get me more excited.

Delavan

Thanks!

So there is really something wrong with the cards then...

The problem is the high TDP from the leaky transistors, and also just the massive amount of them
Can the GTX470, if I get it, last me a good 2 years at 1680 X 1050? If, not If I go GTX480, I feel it would be safer to get a better PSU like the Antec NEW true power 750W (PMed to around $110) with the proper connections.

It's gonna be my last upgrade for this rig me thinks. And I'll stick to it for a long time.
Q9550 OCEd to 3.8, new VERTEX 120GB SSD, Windows 7 64 and a NEW GRAPHICS CARD. I might get a 24" monitor down the road, so a strong GPU with lots of RAM might be the way to keep my rig's head out of the water for the upcoming years???

Can the FERMI last longer than the HD5870 if I'm looking at the LONG run? Can FERMI reveal itself in the future, as being a KEEPER (Cuda, GPGPU and whatever gizmos)???

Sushi Warrior

They don't seem all that impressive.
The 480 has a 1/2 gig more ram onboard...this alone will make a difference at high res, and at high res they seem to even out in most cases.
Not to mention the power requirements and heat WOW
The cards HAD to be a bit faster to even bother releasing them, but this really isn't anything to be bragging about IMO
The performance difference could probably be made up with a modest overclock, especially with the 470vs5850.
Driver issues at 2560x1600 :thumb:

And overclocking goes both ways....

rjbarker

For that resolution the GTX 470 is going to last you for quite a few years my friend.
Yep at that Res my 9800GTX+ x2 SLI is fine.....

Really guys, the Heat isn't as bad as what you make out. I had been running GTX 280's in Tri Sli for almost a year and now SLI .....Cards all idle at 42c and Max Temps when Gaming are around 83c.
You must remember that Sky was only relying on "Auto Fan" settings.......I know of NO GPU enthusiasts that are brain dead enough to leave their high performance Cards on "Auto Fan" while gaming or running GPU Benches.
The fact that thes Cards hit only 95c on Auto Fan while continuously looping a killer GPU Benchmark is actually impressive. What this tells me is that if you set your GPU Fan speed to around 80% while gaming (which is normal), it will likely drop the Max Temp down to a respectable level, I'd guess low 80's.....nothing wrong with that at all.

As for power consumption, no biggie going from 280 / 285''s / 295's.......

Bottomline guys...if you don't like heat, Fan noise or heavy duty PSU's.....then don't consider high performance GPU's or wait for Water Blocks.......and please...get a decent Case with very good Air Flow......

I'm with Zlo on this one, although I like the looks of the GTX 470 SLI arrangement / price, my 280 SLI will do just fine for 4 more months...by then things will mature and likely more options will be out their :thumb:.

FtGF

It is a valid point because I speak about UE market (Germany and Great Britain for example). You guys in North America are lucky, rest of the world not. :biggrin:

And from my point of view it's not hate for green just the fact that Fermi comes too late, too hungry, too hot and too pricey for a couple of FPS's more than a six months "old" Cypress.
Unfortunately from all those facts we consumers are hurt because ATI has no reason to drop prices.
I'm curious about Fermi for the masses those rumors about GF104 ((256SP, 64TMU, 256bit) but even then ATI have an ace in their sleeve: price drop and 6000 series.
Ya ok if it's like that every where then ya I guess you do have a point :haha:

In a way it makes it easier for you guys since Nvidia is way too expensive over there! Still sucks though!

Delavan

You must remember that Sky was only relying on "Auto Fan" settings.......I know of NO GPU enthusiasts that are brain dead enough to leave their high performance Cards on "Auto Fan" while gaming or running GPU Benches.
The fact that thes Cards hit only 95c on Auto Fan while continuously looping a killer GPU Benchmark is actually impressive.
On that note, is it safe to state that "in games" the temperature will never reach that much???
I mean, Furmark or loops of 3dmarks is more intensive that most games out there right?

So, what could be the "expected temperature" of a single GTX470/480 "in-game"?

Also, on an ANTEC 300 case like I have, could a regular 120mm fan located in the side grille be "beneficial" in dropping the temps a little? I mean the 120mm would blow directly onto the 480's heatpipes, the airflow would "lick" the plated heatsink and overall feed the card with colder air that the one coming from the front of the case right?