What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment Thread for GTX 480 and GTX 470 Reviews

Sushi Warrior

Someone on XtremeSystems has the card and says it hits 70C in games and is pretty quiet. It does get hot and loud in Furmark.... someone else also pointed out that ATI cards "cheat" at Furmark and are not actually fully stressed, is this true? It could explain the weird power consumption numbers.

Canzara

Driver issues at 2560x1600 :thumb:

And overclocking goes both ways....
come on, if ATI released these same numbers 1/2 of you guys raving would be saying how much they suck. But its nvidia so the fanboys are out in force raving about numbers they know really aren't great for a release thats 6 months late.
its hillarious.

Sushi Warrior

come on, if ATI released these same numbers 1/2 of you guys raving would be saying how much they suck. But its nvidia so the fanboys are out in force raving about numbers they know really aren't great for a release thats 6 months late.
its hillarious.
Yep, I would be raving about how they suck.... because ATI doesn't have a "complete" package like Nvidia cards (Nvidia cards just support more features, ATI is gaming central - no folding :blarg:).

And I wouldn't call myself an Nvidia fanboi as much as an anti-ATI-fanboi-person. I don't hate ATI, I just hate ATI fanbois....

Canzara

Ahhh so Nvidia is better because they are successful at writing software and fail at making superior hardware.
makes sense.
For your sake, I hope the legal guys never make rules around coding for specific hardware as they should for consumers sake.

AkG

Just playing devils advocate but....how can you say ATI has superior hardware?

Right now ATI has had 6mths to refine and tweak the hell out of their drivers and yet the 480 beats it by double digit margins. I personally would like to see the a head to head comparing drivers on launch day of ATI vs drivers on launch day for NV. THEN you we would know which had superior hardware...for THIS generation.

IMHO both camps take a different approach to the problem but end up in the same place. Every gen gets better, faster and more power hungry then the last but that seems to get lost in the fanboi shuffle.

Competition is a great thing so I LIKE the fact that both ATI and NV dont have a competition killer lead over the other as they both have to stay hungry. Just look at what happened to AMD. They were head shoulders better than Intel during the X2 hayday...and they sat back and let it slip away believing that Intel couldnt catch up. Progress slowed to a crawl and prices went up. Hell if you think prices are high now in GPUs....can you imagine how much a 480 or 5870 would cost IF the other guy didnt have anything even remotely close?! Peeps would be taking out a second mortgage to pay for em.

Zero82z

Banned
I alway figured his was ripped when he posted until saw he was from Quebec.........reading his Posts was like being in Mexico....spent most of my time "translating"........
Nice to know you have so much respect for our province...
It would be nice to see Quad GTX 480's vs Dual HD 5970's.
You can't run GTX480s in quad-SLI. Though even if you could, it would be like running a furnace.
Can the GTX470, if I get it, last me a good 2 years at 1680 X 1050? If, not If I go GTX480, I feel it would be safer to get a better PSU like the Antec NEW true power 750W (PMed to around $110) with the proper connections.
To be honest, I don't see a reason to go with a GTX470 unless you're a folder, considering how little of an extra cost it would be to get a 5870, which is faster and consumes much less power.

Sushi Warrior

Ahhh so Nvidia is better because they are successful at writing software and fail at making superior hardware.
makes sense.
For your sake, I hope the legal guys never make rules around coding for specific hardware as they should for consumers sake.
ATI makes superior barebones hardware, I guess you could extrapolate that to better current gen gaming cards. But I see Fermi handling DX11 and tesselation very well and gaining more from driver updates than ATI cards.

Right now, ATI has the edge. In 6 months however, we will see.

Canzara

well, lets talk about the triple monitor setup
nvidia needs 2 cards to do this.
I can't really delve too deeply into this release because I don't know enough about the actual hardware yet.
But remove that 1/2 gig of memory and lets see how it fares then.
If it was superior hardware, it wouldn't require so much more power, obviously theres an efficiency problem here.
Which has classically been the case with nvidia, they've always needed more die space for the same power.
They are a HUGE success at software, but we both know ATI's hardware is often superior and only the software holds them back. Which again I feel is just unfair to consumers and is why I don't buy nvidia. When you can do the same things without specific coding, THEN you deserve the time of day, till then your not a hardware company, your a software company.

btw, I should add that normally nvidia does make ATI look pretty bad on new releases, I just don't see this as one of those ocassions.
Its not different when ATI releases a card 6 months later and it beats nvidia's offerings..so drivers aren't relevant really...this is how the games played...beat the card that came out before you PERIOD.

Last edited:

AkG

well, lets talk about the triple monitor setup
nvidia needs 2 cards to do this.
I can't really delve too deeply into this release because I don't know enough about the actual hardware yet.
But remove that 1/2 gig of memory and lets see how it fares then.
If it was superior hardware, it wouldn't require so much more power, obviously theres an efficiency problem here.
Which has classically been the case with nvidia, they've always needed more die space for the same power.
They are a HUGE success at software, but we both know ATI's hardware is often superior and only the software holds them back. Which again I feel is just unfair to consumers and is why I don't buy nvidia. When you can do the same things without specific coding, THEN you deserve the time of day, till then your not a hardware company, your a software company.
Sorry dude BUT thats like saying a riced up honda civic is "better" than a shelby cobra because it uses less gas to launch you into orbit. Efficiency does not equal power. If it did...we would all be driving 3 cylinder cars. Power = Power. How fast a card can crunch numbers and spit out a pretty picture is power...not how much juice it takes for it do it.

As for tripple monitor on one card. Yeah, that sounds like a great idea in theory. BUT for intensive games...it better be a dual GPU card otherwise it will be as slow as crap OR look like crap....which brings you right back to dual SLI cards.

Like I said BOTH camps go about it differently....but end up in the same general location.

IF drivers werent relevant to gamers then no one would bother updating them as there would be no point. Drivers for GPUs can have a HUGE impact on performance.

And let me be clear. I dont care about NV or ATI. I look at each gen and see which will fit me better. Last gen it was NV. This gen who knows. Im waiting for the 460 to come out and then see how it compares to ATI. IF the mid line ATI is better I'll get it. IF the 460 is better I'll get it.

Last edited:

Twitter