What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment Thread for GTX 480 and GTX 470 Reviews

thorn

I don't want to get into their testing methodology thank you. :ph34r:
Well I respect that. Though I will say the max playable settings makes more sense than seeing values in the low 30's or less.

I am somewhat curious why Canadian prices were not used for the comparisons, NCIX has prices listed for the 470 (369.99 - 399.99) and 480 (539.99 - 569.99).

Dark-Colonel

Reviews are all over the place for the 470 vs 5850. Most seem to favour the 5850 for its close performance and lower price (less heat and power too).

[H] in particular seems the strongest about this:

Kyle Bennett said:
We see no reason to purchase a GeForce GTX 470. It provides no gameplay advantages compared to the competition, and will actually end up costing you more power and dollars for the exact same performance you can get with the Radeon HD 5850. Factor in the power consumption, and it doesn’t seem worth it. If you have an HD 5850, stick with it, the GTX 470 is not an upgrade.
I was focusing on the 470 and 5850 performance, and I'll probably wait until some reviews based on manufactured cards vs the Vapor-X version of the 5850 which is what I have my sights on.

Good review though SKYMTL :)

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I am somewhat curious why Canadian prices were not used for the comparisons, NCIX has prices listed for the 470 (369.99 - 399.99) and 480 (539.99 - 569.99).
Our usual contact at a Canadian retailer didn't give us prices on time. :ph34r:

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
[H] in particular seems the strongest about this:
They test differently than we do. Not going to say any more than that. :ph34r:

I am a strong believe that power consumption may influence some buyers but many enthusiasts will not really care. Then again, only time will tell I guess.

bovine.baron

Yeah, as excited I am by this launch I'll be waiting for revisions. I am giving the new cards some slack in my judgment because they're a completely new architecture and already they've turned out not as bad as everyone thought. If I had to hazard a guess, this batch of releases is a compromise between R&D and marketing and all the real hardware tweaking has yet to be done. But hey, I'm a hapless optimist.

r0bc

Sky nice reveiw but I think it at least deserves the About Damn Time award.
I ordered one EVGA 480 wanted two but the wife is pissy about the 980x last week.

Last edited:

StockClocker

They test differently than we do. Not going to say any more than that. :ph34r:

I am a strong believe that power consumption may influence some buyers but many enthusiasts will not really care. Then again, only time will tell I guess.
Students living in a cramped dorm room with no AC might care...