What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment Thread for GTX 480 and GTX 470 Reviews

chrisk

Folding Captain
Legit Reviews had this to say on possible folding performance at this link:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 GF100 DX11 Video Card Review - GeForce GTX F@H Performance - Legit Reviews
bold by me
For our test we were sent three different work units, one of which (Spectrin) we weren't able to get our system to work correctly with on either graphics card. The results pretty much speak for themselves, a 50%-70% speed increase with about a 40% increase in power consumption. So indeed we are gaining performance per watt and actually giving the CPU a little more to keep the new GeForce GTX 480 fed with data. For those of you planning on running one or two of these beasts 24/7 will need to work hard to keep them cool. At 96C under a folding load the GeForce GTX 480 will go a long way to keep your room warm on those cold winter nights. With spring and summer on the way for the North though it could be one very high electric bill!
As far as expected points per day go, I will quote Nvidia "a GTX280 does about 7700 points per day (PPD), so the PPD for the GTX480 would be based on the speed up. So, if the GTX 480 is doing 70% better, then it would get 1.7 x 7700 = 13,090 PPD."
Not good enough for me. If I were starting folding or moving from a low-end card, I would go Fermi but for 24/7 folding, and the cooling needed for these things, 13k-15k is not good enough to have me replace my WC 285s.

There will have to be some PPD wrung out of the drivers, and the coming weeks and months may get me to spring for a GTX 470. A little disappointing TBH, but time will tell as the architecture matures.

If you are a folder, I would say a used 295 might be had for the 15k for a decent deal.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
afaing here what I reply to you on another tread, bye bye moderateur de mes fesses

"
no you just piss off at me necause at what I say to you in PM , it's only the second tread you call me BS and you look stupide after. so on this I say to you good buy , will not past anymore on a website where the moderator act like this. "

I'm sorry to announce MarkOne will no longer be with us. We do NOT tolerate abusive behavior around here. He has been warned on multiple occasions.

Please think before you hit that submit post button.

_dangtx_

Banned
aww man...guys a bit off the hook sometimes...:) but not a bad one, usually.

back on topic. looked around a bit and i see a few ppl quite surprised at the numbers. the 470 ,i think, was supposed to be top dog and the power figures arent that bad. but ,perhaps, it caught the eyes of marketing or such that it wasnt enough oompf to be absolute top dog so they needed something more powerfull....which sadly sacrifices said power figures.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
interesting, the results here compared to HardOCP are quite different especially concerning the 470.

I don't want to get into their testing methodology thank you. :ph34r:

Let's just chalk it up to different methods getting different results.

StockClocker

Nice. Very comprehensive review.
The GTX480 definitely looks to be the new king of single GPU performance.
Unfortunately, it's power figures are closer to that of the Radeon 5970 than the 5870.
At least NV's launch prices are closer to Earth this time sliding nicely between ATI's offering.
Can't get over those power figures though....:doh:
Too ambitious a GPU.

FtGF

Nice review. Man I don't need it but I want it. Damn if there wasn't some possibility of the 512 core version then I would so get one :ph34r:

bovine.baron

Having finished both reviews fully now... I'm in love~ But then the phrase "too ambitious" doesn't exist in my vocabulary. The most I've spent on a video card to date has been $150 and second hand but I think I'll actually be keeping an eye on the GTX 470 market (and my bank balance.)

By the way, thank you for the excellent review, Sky. Being the daughter of an electrical engineer and being a geek in general all my life has made me very picky about statistics and testing methodology but nonetheless thanks to you and the rest of the crew, HWC is one of the few sites I completely trust. :canadianwave:

Latest posts