What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment Thread for GTX 480 and GTX 470 Reviews

_dangtx_

Banned

rapmaster

not to talk about the noise. altough ppl shelling 500 bucks on a video card might add another 50-100 for better/less noisy cooling?

altough the oem heatsink and fan are quite something

It still wouldn't change the heat dump into your room.

_dangtx_

Banned
fully agree on that one. i wonder how long would it take for the gtx 480 to start affecting room temp while benching non stop? and by how many degrees? lets say no ac and no special ventilation, window open, etc

kruzn4evr

Excellent review as always SKY, I can't say I'm overly surprised at the numbers given all the speculation the last few weeks. The 480 definetly has a place in the market for sure but I know I won't be running out to buy one (for myself) anytime soon, I too will wait a few mths to see how they settle in overall. The one thing that has my interest peaked though is they are 4-way SLI capable and DAM I'd love see 4 of those on my 4-way Classified some day!...lol...maybe if enough local members all pick one up I'll have a party and we can load 4 of them up to see what they can do..lol.....anyhow, GREAT job SKY, I think you covered DAM near everything (except folding understandably) and you deserve the DAM fine job award :thumb::thumb:

mattlef

I'm still wondering...
Would most of you consider a 470 from a 5850 an upgrade or more less lateral movement?

There are decent increase in frame rates across the board like you have shown, however, the price difference is a tad higher then 10%, and overall tdp is over 18% higher on load?
Would the 10-15% increase in performance vs 10% price and 18% load W be enough for one to justify moving from red to green?

Sky,
Fantastic work on the reviews. As always we greatly appreciate the time and effort you put into every review.

M

member 3099

I like the looks of the 470. Not overly impressed by the 480..

And markone banned? Sweet. Now I don't have to scroll past that ignore list crap any longer :thumb:

StockClocker

I'm still wondering...
Would most of you consider a 470 from a 5850 an upgrade or more less lateral movement?

There are decent increase in frame rates across the board like you have shown, however, the price difference is a tad higher then 10%, and overall tdp is over 18% higher on load?
Would the 10-15% increase in performance vs 10% price and 18% load W be enough for one to justify moving from red to green?

Sky,
Fantastic work on the reviews. As always we greatly appreciate the time and effort you put into every review.

I would say stick with the 5850, since there's probably going to be a markup on the GTX480/470 for a while.
Unless of course you absolutely need PhysX and CUDA.

bovine.baron

I'm still wondering...

At this point, yes. It remains to be seen how much of a difference drivers will make but that small of a gap and the heat and power consumption (which will build up in your electrical bills!) just doesn't make financial sense, I think.

Then again you could save on your heating bills if you have it running load all the time :haha:

Latest posts