What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment Thread for GTX 480 and GTX 470 Reviews

_dangtx_

Banned
the gtx 480 on 4x-16x thing on tp was nice as well. basically if you have an older mobo with 8x, or even 4, you lose 8$ at most, they say. question is, how much will an older/slower proc kill your gaming with the said 480? :)

rjbarker

rjbarker,
yeah ok thanks Artist and Sugar found it (did the Search).......but whooaa...$569 x 2 plus tax.......I'm gonna have to ponder this for awhile....I've always waited about 3 months after release and seems I never pay more than about $469 ..8800GTX / GTX 280...etc......tempting, but we'll see......

kk22

Wow those are some hot running cards. Performance numbers are respectable though. I'm personally more looking forward to their future lower range offerings.

geokilla

For the first 8 pages or so where reviewers talk about the core of GTX 480 and GTX 470, I'm so lost. Then I got onto the charts and at first I thought "Man NVIDIA flopped." Then I went threw a couple more benchmarks and skimmed them, "HOLY!" Imagine what'll happen once NVIDIA gets their drivers right. The two GPUs have ATI beat in everywhere but the price, power consumption, and temperatures. Seems that AMD will have to go with their price/performance strategy, undercutting NVIDIA's offerings in order to stay competitive in the market.

Great review HWC!

Edit: Skimming the comment thread here... Folding here we come!

Finally Mark is banned. I was waiting for it... no offense.

artistpavel

yeah ok thanks Artist and Sugar found it (did the Search).......but whooaa...$569 x 2 plus tax.......I'm gonna have to ponder this for awhile....I've always waited about 3 months after release and seems I never pay more than about $469 ..8800GTX / GTX 280...etc......tempting, but we'll see......

Prices may go up and stay there due to shortage, same as with ATI. Also do you guys think superclocked is worth it, the card is already running hot as it is, I picked regular Evga for $30 less.

rjbarker

Also do you guys think superclocked is worth it, the card is already running hot as it is, I picked regular Evga for $30 less.
For OC'ing the GPU I've always paid a little more for SC or SSC versions and they have never dissapointed me (better binned chips), the vanilla Cards are hit n miss, some OC well, some don't OC at all....
Perhaps after these Cards stretch thier wings we'll see SSC and FTW versions.....as for heat, that doesn't tun my crank at all (coming from Tri Sli 280's), would like to see the top heat numbers while gaming as apposed to looping Benchmarks...

As for Mark being banned....perhaps he was "tilting a few"......don't know exactly what transpired but I always feel folks deserve a 2nd chance....cut him some slack I say (unless the PM's were that bad).......

kk22

I didn't realize at first, but after reading other reviews, the cooler on the GTX 480 are HDT coolers. Looks like Nvidia is doing whatever they can do keep the temperatures down already. Not sure about the GTX 470.