What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment Thread for GTX 480 and GTX 470 Reviews

Levesque

Nice review and congrats. HC reviews are always the best to read. :)

I was waiting to see if I would relocalized my 5970 + 5870 plus waterblocks in my childs computer, and buy dual 480 plus blocks for my main computer, but after reading all those reviews out there, I'm now officailly happy I waited. :)

The only way to use 480 SLI will be to watercool them. On air, 480 SLI in the middle of summer will be suicide! I know some people will do it, but it doesn't makes any sense. I've seen a picture of Furmark reaching 105 celsius for a single 480 on air! Imagine 2!

I will wait for the next gen from ATI and Nvidia before changing my Tri-Crossifre set-up. Nvidia will probably lower those temps and power consumptions in the next iteration.

My only ''problem'' right now is to understand all the discrepancies and results that are all over the place in the different reviews for the 480 on the net.

Sky, how do you explain those results that are all over the maps on the different sites? There is some major differences in alot of reviews. Strange.

_dangtx_

Banned
Nice review and congrats. HC reviews are always the best to read. :)

I was waiting to see if I would relocalized my 5970 + 5870 plus waterblocks in my childs computer, and buy dual 480 plus blocks for my main computer, but after reading all those reviews out there, I'm now officailly happy I waited. :)

The only way to use 480 SLI will be to watercool them. On air, 480 SLI in the middle of summer will be suicide! I know some people will do it, but it doesn't makes any sense. I've seen a picture of Furmark reaching 105 celsius for a single 480 on air! Imagine 2!

I will wait for the next gen from ATI and Nvidia before changing my Tri-Crossifre set-up. Nvidia will probably lower those temps and power consumptions in the next iteration.

My only ''problem'' right now is to understand all the discrepancies and results that are all over the place in the different reviews for the 480 on the net.

Sky, how do you explain those results that are all over the maps on the different sites? There is some major differences in alot of reviews. Strange.

someone must have time to compare one or two benchmark figures from 3-4 sites ahem ahem

r0bc

The most nv biased review on the web, grats.

You should be ashamed of yourself, look at what the respectable websites like anand, [H] and THG said. You'll always be minor league if you are in nvidia's pockets.

FAIL.

Attachments

• Capture5.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    118.2 KB · Views: 315

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Nah it's fact.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2112/gfxcomparerev2smallpng.jpg

The results on this site are a joke, they favour nvidia by a flat 10% compared to most of the honest ones.

Wrongo buddy.

See the chart that you posted. Our results for a number of games weren't included. Including Far Cry 2 but not including AvP, L4D2, etc meant the results in his chart favour NVIDIA too much.

Take a step back, get your breath and use some intelligence please.

Last edited:

SKYMTL

Staff member
Just a question SKY. From all reviews I've read I saw 100-130W power consumption difference between HD5870 and GTX480 (for example TPU isolated only card consumption) and yours is "only" 70W. Why?

Different load scenarios possibly. No idea actually.

r0bc

He's just a pissed off troll....spamming forums he don't agree with

jamahl

Wrongo buddy.

See the chart that you posted. Our results for a number of games weren't included. Including Far Cry 2 but not including AvP, L4D2, etc meant the results in his chart favour NVIDIA too much.

Take a step back, get your breath and use some intelligence please.

The chart doesnt lie, it shows your average percentagess being 50% to 100% more favourable.

470 only 1% slower than the 5870? Yeah right.

That just means you had cards longer, and figured out the settings that made the 480 and 470 look better than they are.

SKYMTL

Staff member
The chart doesnt lie, it shows your average percentagess being 50% to 100% more favourable.

470 only 1% slower than the 5870? Yeah right.

That just means you had cards longer, and figured out the settings that made the 480 and 470 look better than they are.

You're full of it. I never say that but you are.

Once again, check out the included benchmarks in the chart you posted. There are a number of games without results which should have results.

I have contacted the author of the chart (which you got from XS) in order to send him ALL of our numbers which I have included in a chart for him. It will bring down the numbers significantly. :thumb:

Last edited:

Latest posts