What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment Thread for GTX 480 and GTX 470 Reviews

_dangtx_

Banned
allright...first off everyone calm down. two. new guy, lets not start a war in here. dont want another thread clean up, or locking..ok?

Wi-Fuzzy

The most nv biased review on the web, grats.

You should be ashamed of yourself, look at what the respectable websites like anand, [H] and THG said. You'll always be minor league if you are in nvidia's pockets.

FAIL.

get a grip...reviews from place to place are always a little different. Hardware is always a little different and this effects performance a liitle one way or the other. That said it suprized me that more sites did not slam Nvidia for the heat this card produces. Now your thinking it's only 8C-10C...no it isn't....put the same heat sink on the 5870 and see what temps it runs. It's all about dissipated heat. This cards is producing alot of heat and you will need to turn you computer into a vacuum cleaner to keep temps in line. If all you do is casual gaming it might not be to much of a problem..Oh...unless you want to have 2 monitors hooked to it..both the 5870 and the 480 go back to a 3D profile with 2 monitors and in this case the 480 will chew up power and stay hotter as long as you keep your computer on. I do like the performance of the card and think it will get better and it does have some perks...cuda.etc. Give the devil his due...this card is fast...and hotter than hell also (punn intended) Would I buy one......not sure. To be honest I can't say I would not, but at this point I would need a price drop before I would really get tempted.

r0bc

That just means you had cards longer, and figured out the settings that made the 480 and 470 look better than they are.

Wow ... thats crazy and down right rude

Last edited:

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
These are the results we got which line up with literally every other site that tested at the same settings we did:

GTX 480:

GTX480-101.jpg

GTX 470

GTX470-16.jpg

Seriously, why use someone else's incomplete chart when we have one right there in our reviews?

Zero82z

Banned
Just a question SKY. From all reviews I've read I saw 100-130W power consumption difference between HD5870 and GTX480 (for example TPU isolated only card consumption) and yours is "only" 70W. Why?
I would wait until X-bit's review for power consumption numbers if I were you. I don't know why they don't have one up right now, but hopefully it'll be there soon.
I think my Antec True power Trio 650 watts (52amps) won't work because of the lack of a 8pin PCI-E.

Really, can the 6pin to 8pin PCI-e adapter like this work 100% reliably???

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=38078&vpn=CB-6M-68F&manufacture=Works

Would it be SAFE? I know the 6 pin is supposed to hold 75 watts and the 8pin 150 watts...can my PSU cables catch on fire if I use such connector (wire gauge issue)?
I recommend that you use something like this instead: http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=38079&vpn=CB-PCI-X2&manufacture=Works
Also a dual card will come out that competes with the 5970.
If a dual-GF100 card ever comes out, it will be either after a die shrink, or it will use crippled cores. With the amount of heat these GPUs put out, there's no way they could stick two GTX480 dies into a dual-slot card without running into major heat problems.

_dangtx_

Banned
I would wait until X-bit's review for power consumption numbers if I were you. I don't know why they don't have one up right now, but hopefully it'll be there soon.

I recommend that you use something like this instead: http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=38079&vpn=CB-PCI-X2&manufacture=Works

If a dual-GF100 card ever comes out, it will be either after a die shrink, or it will use crippled cores. With the amount of heat these GPUs put out, there's no way they could stick two GTX480 dies into a dual-slot card without running into major heat problems.

is X-bit the leader in power figures while testing or what? :) yup, two molex one will be a safer bet. maybe, maybe not. dual or one larger heatpipe heat sink and one or two blowers might actually work. if they make it work without toning things down, than they did a near miracle on the cooling front ;)

AmuseMe

Very nice Sky :thumb: After reading that, IMHO, it would not be worth it for me to 'upgrade' from my 5870, not me mention that I would need a new water-block too. Thanks for the review SKY!

EDIT: Really though, its all about the numbers. Can a human even see the difference between 80FPS and 120FPS? I'm pretty sure we cant.

Latest posts