What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment Thread for GTX 480 and GTX 470 Reviews

encorp

The most nv biased review on the web, grats.

You should be ashamed of yourself, look at what the respectable websites like anand, [H] and THG said. You'll always be minor league if you are in nvidia's pockets.

FAIL.

Since when was Anand NOT in anyone's pocket? It's a well known fact they are. Also I do reach [H] but their testing methodologies lack a bit; although I do trust them to be honest. Anand though is a joke and the simple fact you even mentioned them as "respected" completely disproves -every- opinion you have since they are very well known to be completely, and wholly on the side of manufacturers. They might as well have Charlie do their reviews.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
We're actively researching this. Anything that will make the outcome more accurate is fine in my books.

Back to the topic at hand.... ;)

kingnubian

Interesting read. Personally I won't be purchasing either card...............................just yet.

Being the owner of a 4870 I think I'll hold off a while & see when/if ATI drops their prices or just go out and get another 4870 for some CF.
I would obviously loose the DirectX 11 compatibility but at this point in time it's not something that sways my purchase decision.

For HD4870 owners & comparisons sake, Anandtech does include HD4870CF results in it's GTX-480/470 review and Rage3D has an interesting comparison of the HD4870X2 vs Hd4870 CF. For the most part, in non-DX11 titles naturally, the HD4870X2 holds it's own and in many cases outperforms the gtx-480. This is not to say that in the big scheme of things the dual 4870's are a better buy looking twords the future, just food for thought for present HD4xxx owners as a possible upgrade path.
AnandTech: NVIDIA?s GeForce GTX 480 and GTX 470: 6 Months Late, Was It Worth the Wait?
Rage3D.com : ATi Radeon HD 4870 X2 Review [ A Bumpy Introduction ]

Zero82z

Banned
The CPU, memory, HDD, etc. will influence the outcome. The whole point behind the exercise would be to isolate the GPU's power signature.
A method similar to the one X-bit uses would probably be the easiest to implement, outside of purchasing a pre-existing PCI-E passthrough card that measures power. I had thought they used an off-the-shelf measurement device, but after reading their methodology article it seems that they designed a custom PCB. A more "ghetto" method would just be to install current shunts to measure the power going through each +12V wire, and then use a multimeter to get readings from them (you'd obviously have to perform a calibration procedure beforehand, but if you get linear response transducers then it would be quite simple to calculate the necessary correction). It would be more labour-intensive, but you wouldn't really have to design much.

Arinoth

Staff member
Yeah kinda something i tried to explain to SKY but probably a hell of a lot more technical then that, oops!

Zero82z

Banned
Yeah kinda something i tried to explain to SKY but probably a hell of a lot more technical then that, oops!
Well, you would know the details better than I would. I know how to set something like that up to perform the measurements, but actually designing the sensors is beyond my current knowledge.

Arinoth

Staff member
Well, you would know the details better than I would. I know how to set something like that up to perform the measurements, but actually designing the sensors is beyond my current knowledge.

I also meant you explained it in a more non-technical compared to mine which would probably baffle those who don't have the knowledge depth i've had hammered into my head.

encorp

So in all honesty; Should I try and pick up another used GTX 275 and wait some more months for the 485, 475, 460 or whatever? Or just go for a 470 now?

_dangtx_

Banned
if i were you id actually sell the 275 till it still holds some value :) decide later ;)

Latest posts